Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 11:35 AM

Bad start to 2018

True. We have a fence that needs a section replacing as it - I think the arris rail broken- the cistern in the en suite toilet keeps running, plumber coming tomorrow- my little Samsung game paid won't charge up and something happened to the plug making the socket switch off

Sue decided to rip out old ensuite shower cubicle and retile the walls etc etc. At the moment the pratt that had the house before us allowed new tiles over old so double tiled. so a complete referb and update.

Also have a cowl put on the chimney to stop rain and birds on it

Fun owning your own house and having to pay for everything. No council housing people to call on to get it done free.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 11:40 AM

Re: Bad start to 2018

I too have urgent repairs required , the loo dribbles and the fence is down but that is not the end of the world.

My sister's daughter went to a neighbour's house for new years eve. At 12 30am the host said 'I am going' and died
That is a bad start to the new year ....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 11:45 AM

You have an outdated idea of council homes realspeed, we pay council rent but all problems you listed we'd pay for ourselves or at least pay a portion of the cost. We'd have to wait a long time to get any repair too so if we want to live in reasonable conditions we don't even report faults anymore it's quicker to do it ourselves.

You can't even get things done here if you are disabled. My husband and Nathan had to go round and help a neighbour last night, how they expect a lady can't walk to sort out repairs herself I can't imagine.

But I don't envy your list of repairs good luck with them.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 11:59 AM

Julie

These are minor to how the previous owner left the place. A so called builder he claimed, A so called bodger I call him, no wonder his company went bust

have you ever seen a roof strut braced like this is in our garage

That is a large wood brace used for clamping long lengths of wood together

that gives some idea of what a complete danger he was to everyone including himself
The lighting went from the switch to a pendant lights - to outside floodlight inside -to flourescent tube - to sodium light that worked All the others used as junction points

Overall it has cost us thousands to put right his blundering
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I too have urgent repairs required , the loo dribbles and the fence is down but that is not the end of the world.

My sister's daughter went to a neighbour's house for new years eve. At 12 30am the host said 'I am going' and died
That is a bad start to the new year ....
Wow! That must have been such a shock for her.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 12:04 PM

Bloody printer has gone wrong. I had it in pieces yesterday trying to locate the problem but I think it must be in it's psyche.

Mind you, I have had it for about 18 years.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 08:17 PM

Agree Julie,we pay quite a large rent for council property but still have to do decorating and some repairs ourselves.Our home will never be our own and a lot of councils wont pass the home on to children once tenant dies
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Julie

Overall it has cost us thousands to put right his blundering
I hope you knew about these blunderings when you bought the property and therefore managed to get it cheaper!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 08:54 PM

What a bummer......life is such a b****.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

02-01-2018, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I hope you knew about these blunderings when you bought the property and therefore managed to get it cheaper!

Carol

when we bought this house we chased after so many for weeks in our price range. They had sold before we got there before viewing date even on the same day, even on the way to view the agent rang us in the car and said sold. Many were in such poor condition I would not have homed a rat in.
We visited 2 very large developments for new houses and all sold off the plans and selling already months before even started to build the next phase. Too far in advance we wanted to get one more or less straight away

Around here they were selling quicker than hotcakes. Honestly you would not believe the speed they were selling at. On the market one day ,sold the next.
W must have averaged 4 a week or more to view most sold beforehand

So we upped our viewing price and this one came on the market 2 days before we viewed, I spotted it on the internet. So we rang the agent and said we would be here in 2 hours, we were staying about an hour and a half away

So we dropped everything and raced down here to view. Already in those two days of going on the market 3 couples had already viewed and another booked to view 2 days later

The first lot ummed and arred and said they would get back to the agent.

Sue and I turned up view made a offer which was refused so we would pay the asking price for cash there and then and was accepted. We did stipulate the property was taken off the market as one of our buying condition and all certificate like electrical were up to date. Yes we had the formalities to go through with solicitiors etc
The seller then mucked us about for 8 weeks trying to find somewhere to go.

it was panic house buying at the time by everyone as the government did a 5% deposit scheme for new buyers.

Yes we expected a far bit of work as it was obvious those selling did very little or nothing to the place,They got it as the old dear who lived here had them as live in helpers and left it to them.

As for getting it cheaper ? no but we also knew property values were going through the roof and now worth around £150,000+ more than we paid just over 3 years ago. So we havn't lost out.

The vendors actually went and asked a neighbour if they should sell to us, that is what planks they were. He told them straight to bit our hand of to sell to us cash buyers? at over £400,000? are they mad he asked.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top