Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 05:52 PM

Re: The Hard Part.

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
It's a miserable time of the year. A lot of it has to do with the lack of sunlight. We need to make sure we still get outdoors for some fresh air and take vitamin D3 tablets.

I agree Floydy, I too, think that's a lot to do with it.
We have been without warm sunshine for months by now, and still have at least 3 more months to go, so will get even more depleted.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree Floydy, I too, think that's a lot to do with it.
We have been without warm sunshine for months by now, and still have at least 3 months more months to go, so will get even more depleted.
I'd retire to Tenerife like a shot if I could afford it when the time comes, but alas I doubt I'll have the funds!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I do know what you mean Nom, and to an extend I agree.
But it can also be a state of mind I think. We need to think more positive and try to look forward.

I have fed the wild birds for years, I just love having them round the garden.
A few weeks ago I had some rats visiting the bird tables, so I stopped feeding. It really upset me because I had a little family of Dunnocks come every day, and my Robins would wait on the fence for me, and many others. I want to feed them, but don't want the rats.

It won't be that long before they start pairing up and thinking about nesting, and my little garden seems to have lost it soul and is so empty now. So today I bought a new feeder which I am going to try and hang on my clothes line. Do you think this will be safe from rats? Surely they won't run along my clothe line will they?

I guess what I'm getting at is, try to do something that one step towards the spring. I don't know how you spend your time when indoors, but could you write for a bird magazine, or have you anyone to go out with for a day here and there, pursuing a joint hobby or someething?

Failing that, think ahead to Valentine's Day ...... that should cheer you up, trying to devise a way of blocking all the fan mail from your letterbox.

Mups you must get a rat trap .
I have no problem now and I am once more feeding the birds !
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Am i alone in finding the next 3 months the hard part of the year.

Inclement weather means less opportunity to get out and about seriously can affect my moods.

Longer for bank balance to recover from Crimbo with extra costs to keep warm.

Folks all seem to adopt, head down pose of Lowry.

Roll on Spring.
Hate them .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Mups you must get a rat trap .
I have no problem now and I am once more feeding the birds !

I know you're right Muddy, and I was going to send for one after reading about your solution too.
The onyl thing that is stopping me is I am a bit concerned about the 'disposal' of a bloody great live rat - who will be tring hard to bite me probably!

Someone suggested to me I just lower the cage into some water, but much as I detest the darn things, I don't think I could deliberately drown anything.

Neither do I fancy putting it in my car and it peeing because of Lepto and the dogs. I don't know what to do. If someone would dispose of it for me I wouldn't hestitate to trap.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 06:22 PM

Realised this afternoon that at ten past four it wasnt dark, so first sign of getting lighter. Only -4c BUT coldest time of the winter has yet to come.
Sowing seeds now for planting out in May.
It would be nice to have a sunny day even though the sun will not be on us until March .
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 09:18 AM

Yes, very gradually the light's coming back. Birds start singing in the early morning before daybreak so they must sense that spring will come, even if it does get colder first.

If you can, plant plenty of bulbs in the autumn, soon the first green spikes will start to show.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top