Join for free
Page 5 of 16 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 10:55 PM

Re: Leavers and Remainers, A Call For Unity?

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
I doubt it. Even Blair stated that if the vote was once again to leave, then it would be a done and dusted unequivocal situation and pretty much mark the end of all this wrangling.
You don't believe a word that BLiar says, do you?

If not a third referendum, then the best of five, then seven, etc, etc!
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 10:56 PM

Discussions and conversations with my friends and acquaintances over the past 3 years seem to reflect the opinions and attitude of the population as a whole, as far as I can judge

At the time of the Referendum we were split roughly 50:50, though with a slight majority in favour of Leave

Now, no-one who voted Leave has changed their mind; a couple who voted Remain have, and wished they'd voted Leave instead
A couple who voted Remain still want that, but grudgingly accept the result, and are tired of all the delays & arguing. They think that the best thing now would be to (from their point of view) make the best of a bad job
Only one person is still an ardent Remainer, and would like the decision reversed, or a Losers' Vote/Second Referendum, and all the rest of it
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Discussions and conversations with my friends and acquaintances over the past 3 years seem to reflect the opinions and attitude of the population as a whole, as far as I can judge

At the time of the Referendum we were split roughly 50:50, though with a slight majority in favour of Leave

Now, no-one who voted Leave has changed their mind; a couple who voted Remain have, and wished they'd voted Leave instead
A couple who voted Remain still want that, but grudgingly accept the result, and are tired of all the delays & arguing. They think that the best thing now would be to (from their point of view) make the best of a bad job
Only one person is still an ardent Remainer, and would like the decision reversed, or a Losers' Vote/Second Referendum, and all the rest of it
I'm not surprised, bearing in mind what we've seen of the EU leaders' behaviour.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
What part of article 50 being enacted didn't the remainers understand ? it's all rules and laws from that point on. No point moaning and saying the referendum wasn't lawful. It was taken seriously enough to make article 50 happen.

I know that's not being conciliatory but unless remainers accept we are leaving one way or another it's going to carry on in this madness for ever.
You miss the point.

It’s not down to the people whether we leave or ny be the remainders or leavers

We have a Parliamentary democracy where under the law parliament is sovereign so parliament will decide whether we are leaving or not

Currently Article 50 has been invoked under an Act of Parliament but given what’s going on in parliament who knows what will happen

Also, no matter what people may think, there is no obligation for MPs to vote in accord with the result of the referendum or how their constituency voted.

The Government however do have an obligation to take into consideration the result of the referendum which TM thinks she has done in her deal
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-01-2019, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
You miss the point.

It’s not down to the people whether we leave or ny be the remainders or leavers

We have a Parliamentary democracy where under the law parliament is sovereign so parliament will decide whether we are leaving or not
So what's the point of voting for them?
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
So what's the point of voting for them?
Normally there is a majority Government working to a party mandate kept in check by the party whips and your vote may or may not count depending on who you voted for

This referendum has not only divided the country it has divided the two main political parties, broken Parliamentary norms and will likely break the country

There is now political consensus that transcends political allegiances and normality has disappeared so your vote may not count for what you voted for.

Perhaps a further legally binding referendum is the only way to get back to normality in parliament although I think that whatever the result the country would be broken
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-01-2019, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
Normally there is a majority Government working to a party mandate kept in check by the party whips and your vote may or may not count depending on who you voted for

This referendum has not only divided the country it has divided the two main political parties, broken Parliamentary norms and will likely break the country

There is now political consensus that transcends political allegiances and normality has disappeared so your vote may not count for what you voted for.

Perhaps a further legally binding referendum is the only way to get back to normality in parliament although I think that whatever the result the country would be broken
The country IS broken, and I think we all know who those responsible are.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 12:22 AM

I came across this, it amused me

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	mp problem.png
Views:	57
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	8454  
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-01-2019, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
I came across this, it amused me
That's it, in a nutshell.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 05:46 AM

Hi

We voted Leave, entirely understandable.

What nobody expected was that our Government would mess it up so badly.

Leaving would always hurt Financially, but it would have been the Financial Elite which suffered, no more huge bonuses for the Bankers etc.

I have no sympathy for them at all.

The problem now is that it will hurt everyone.

The ordinary people who work for a living

We are simply not ready to leave under a No Deal.

The best analogy I have is the charge of the Light Brigade, stunning, but useless.

It is the ordinary people who will suffer, not the Elite.

The EU could have been good for us, on a level with France and Germany.

We blew it, a Political Nightmare.

I loathe Juncker, I have had to sit at the next table in a very expensive restaurant listening to him bragging about running us ragged.

My predicable area of expertise is very narrow, Immigration and Terrorism.

Run over by Theresa May after years of bringing the French on side.

She gave in, purely on the grounds of cost.

My secondary area is Health, my origins.

She has decimated that as well.

I am at a complete loss to understand why anyone could want her to continue in charge.

Hard though it may be to some.

Time to dump her, stop Article 50 and start again.

We need to get out, but she is a disaster.

Page 5 of 16 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top