Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 05:27 PM

Re: Ex Smokers???

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
My lungs are fighting back and trying to clear out Mups ...

I couldn't breath Wednesday night so trotted off to the Doc's first thing Thursday morning ... stopping every 4 steps to gasp in air.

She said it's the cilia (little hairs in lungs). For the last week my chest had started to feel a little tight.

The inhaler is great though They're wonderful little gadgets and life savers.
I'm not sure whether this is just temporary or not but if I'd known I'd have thought twice about quitting.
It does back up my own view though that you can't cheat the Reaper. Once a smoker, a longterm smoker like me, with damaged lungs ... quitting makes no difference.
Morti, I quit in my 30's and didn't smoke for 12 years. I then started again ( but no more than 5 a day) then stopped when they diagnosed cancer almost 8 years ago and will never have another.
The reason I am telling you this, is because your breathing will improve, but it is slow and it takes 10 years to clear completely. I now breath better than when I smoked, so don't give up as it is worth it . I reckon I could have another 25 years & you are younger than me so don't you dare leave me too soon!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 05:54 PM

Morti, your breathing will improve, just right now your lungs are having a good old clear out

I have had 4 cigarettes this week, all stress related, I had managed nearly 2 years smoke free this time around

I hope its just a blip and I don't get to go as far as buying any as I really do enjoy my smoke free status normally
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 06:39 PM

I gave up in 2008 after convincing myself I was going to die if I didn't give up. At that time there was an NHS Stop Smoking facility and they gave me lozenges, patches, gum and anything which helped........it all did.

Sometimes I still get a craving, but the conviction of death stops me so I avoid all smokers.

I'm much healthier - lots of exercise - and much fitter than I was.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 09:49 AM

My wife and I stopped smoking over 30 years ago

Ok it was 1am in the morning 6th January 1983 we had gone to a twelth night party we took 40cigs and by 12.30 we were tapping off of other people so we both said enough is enough and just stopped

Not that I remember the full details you understand

I still dream about smoking and sometimes wake up thinking I have been smoking and feel very guilty

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top