Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 02:35 PM

Re: Evil but talented? Can you separate one from the other?

Originally Posted by Pug ->
We were attending a compulsory 1st Aid & CPR session at the uni.
The chap giving the vocals asked myself and Anne to stand,then asked me to perform 'THE' anti-choking manouver. I had NO idea until then,about a year back,that Heimlich had become 'persona-non-grata' and mentioning his name was strictly verboten. Apparently,he is now,post death,accused of being a kiddy fiddler! Did anyone know of this? To me,it's ALWAYS been 'The Heimlich Manouver'...but now,it's the 'Airway-Clearance' manouver...???
I was also told that we could not say the H...... word but was told it was because someone else had invented it.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 05:37 PM

I truly don't know ANYTHING about it,other than the chap from the ambulance service who was updating our 1st Aid tickets told we,the class attending,that the name 'Heimlich' is no longer used,due to his [apparently] well-known and long-accepted penchant for interfering with children,Mr Longdogs.
It came as a total surprise to myself AND the rest of us there [16 adults,all supposedly educated,but not ONE of us had heard about this] and I still refer to it as the 'Heimlich' manouver...to my mind,it's too well established in the 'emergency assistance' locker to be suddenly renamed. Whether he was as accused,I know not-but his 'manouver' has certainly been effective in making the difference countless times. [even I've put it to use twice over the years-both times to the desired,required effect]
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 05:55 PM

From what I've read over the years reason Heimlich is no longer popular is his son and daughter in laws writing about him being a fraud, nothing to do with pedophilia. I want to believe them as why would they lie but looking at the campaign the waged I actually feel sorry for Dr Heimlich.

No matter what anyone says about him he has by publicizing this manoeuvre saved many lives.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 06:20 PM

I suppose it's not too bad with famous inventors, old artists, historical figures, etc., we don't have to see them on TV or listen to them, but with music and show business it's different, personally when I hear about child molesters and bad sex offenders being convicted I just switch off them completely for good, never want to hear about them again.
Every time I look at the old 'Top of the Pops' programs on BBC4 I curse that Savile fella for being the reason so many episodes of good music are omitted.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I suppose it's not too bad with famous inventors, old artists, historical figures, etc., we don't have to see them on TV or listen to them, but with music and show business it's different, personally when I hear about child molesters and bad sex offenders being convicted I just switch off them completely for good, never want to hear about them again.
Every time I look at the old 'Top of the Pops' programs on BBC4 I curse that Savile fella for being the reason so many episodes of good music are omitted.
Yes I agree Jem, sometimes the consequences of their actions is not fully realised at the time...
I love watching past editions of 'Top of the Pops' and so much good footage has been lost at a time when music was great.....
When you look back there was always something weird about JS but you just couldn't put your finger on it.
The world was never the same again after he was exposed.....Pardon the pun...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Yes I agree Jem, sometimes the consequences of their actions is not fully realised at the time...
I love watching past editions of 'Top of the Pops' and so much good footage has been lost at a time when music was great.....
When you look back there was always something weird about JS but you just couldn't put your finger on it.
Very true; and those that covered it all up are almost as bad in my opinion.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 08:26 PM

If it helps at all - I did a quick bit of research into this.
It seems there was a recent [this century] scandal concerning a LUKE Heimlich,who has been jailed for rather nasty behaviour with children as young as 6 years of age. Jailed? I'd rip the b#ll#cks off ANYONE touching my remaining daughter with pliars,SOD 'jail'.
[My daughter Ella is gone before. I'm a TINY bit protective of Ella's sister]

So,just perhaps,that 1st-aid chap had the wrong name.
I found nothing pertaining to such behaviour re Henry Heimlich.
...a few 'tuts' regarding his medical practice,but ALL from jealous,lesser mortals. As has been stated above - he's saved HUNDREDS of lives,just by making this procedure known and available. REGARDLESS of nay-sayers.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
And look at Dave Lee Travis! Poor DLT was done for putting his arm around girls on TOTP! Poor guy had his career wrecked.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
And look at Dave Lee Travis! Poor DLT was done for putting his arm around girls on TOTP! Poor guy had his career wrecked.
Yes it started a proper witch hunt Floydy, where the integrity of many innocent celebs were tarnished. I think the only prosecution to arise from 'Operation Yewtree' was poor old Rolf, and I reckon he was innocent too, he just couldn't prove it.

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top