Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 04:54 PM

Re: raised white blood cells

Sending you best wishes , LQ.
xx
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Sending you best wishes , LQ.
xx
Thanks Apricot x
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan2 ->
It is not just an antidepressant, and low dose amitriptyline is often the first line treatment for neuralgia.
Yes it's also a muscle relaxant which is why they often prescribed for pain. I've refused it in the past when I've had neck or shoulder strain because I don't want to take anything that affects my mood. It can cause anxiety in some from what I recall. I'm not a fan of anti depressant meds unless they are absolutely necessary (e.g. in severe depression).
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Yes it's also a muscle relaxant which is why they often prescribed for pain. I've refused it in the past when I've had neck or shoulder strain because I don't want to take anything that affects my mood. It can cause anxiety in some from what I recall. I'm not a fan of anti depressant meds unless they are absolutely necessary (e.g. in severe depression).
I'm not a fan of any drugs but I was grateful for the Amitriptylene initially as it gave me some relief however I didn't take it for long because I couldn't function and made me sleep for 3 days while taking it, luckily my symptoms had subsided by that time so I didn't need them anymore. They worked well for me as a pain med but Wow they knocked me out for sure. I'm just glad to be out of that pain. Seems my body has been going through the mill just lately but so glad now that I'm well on the mend. I guess the sleep was needed to help my body recover from whatever the heck was happening to it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 07:16 PM

I'm so glad you're on the mend LQ. I wonder what was causing the face pain? I had trigeminal neuralgia many years ago now. It's very distressing. I wonder if these things can be caused by mineral and trace metal imbalances. It's interesting about the potassium because seems deficiency can cause all sorts of symptoms. Have they tested your kidney function?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

31-08-2018, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'm so glad you're on the mend LQ. I wonder what was causing the face pain? I had trigeminal neuralgia many years ago now. It's very distressing. I wonder if these things can be caused by mineral and trace metal imbalances. It's interesting about the potassium because seems deficiency can cause all sorts of symptoms. Have they tested your kidney function?
Yes, they did a whole lot of blood tests. I don't know what the face pain was but I came across trigeminal neuralgia when I was looking on the net and wondered if it was that but the doctor said no because if it was it would have affected more of my face rather than just the spot where the pain was bad so goodness knows,

I do hope it doesn't come back, it felt like someone had punched me really hard on the side of my face and the pain was continual, only way I knew how to describe it.

Doctor things my potassium level is so low because of indapamide, he's taken me off it and monitoring my blood pressure and bloods.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

31-08-2018, 07:31 PM

Could be your bite. Maybe you were stressed out and grinding. Maybe the chest pain was acid reflux. Both can be stress related as can food absorption issues if you are stressed you don't digest properly. Have you been having some difficult issues lately.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 09:13 PM

amitriptyline is the gold standard for nerve pain

Yes the side effects aren't too nice but they do wear off. The diarrhoea will turn to constipation and a dry mouth will be a constant companion I find sucking sugar free mints helps

With the amitriptyline taking them at night cuts down on the spaced out feeling, I have PN and I take up to 8 a day to kill the pain but I can drive and work. Don't be feared of them, they will work, just let your body get used to them
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

31-08-2018, 09:37 PM

It may be useful for long term pain management where other methods have failed. But GPs are too quick to prescribe this for acute episodes. It has side effects, contra-indicates with a number of conditions and it's not easy to get off it. I had terrible side effects, I think it was drowsiness too. They prescribed it when I was in my early thirties and how are you to carry on with your life if you are nodding off half the day?

I managed on nurofen plus instead. I swear by opiates for pain relief but then I don't get addicted. For chronic pain I agree that something like ami might work but they should not prescribe as a first line of medication and particularly not to young people. Opiates have saved my sanity when in acute pain.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
As some may remember, on Saturday I had to call an ambulance due to chest pain and feeling dreadful. I also have been having a really bad heavy pain in my face prior to that. I mentioned the face pain but 2 doctors just dismissed my concerns.

The hospital ran tests for the chest pain, the ECG was fine although showed scar tissue?? and initially the doctor thought it could have been a problem with my heart but the blood test came back negative. He repeated the blood test and that also came back negative which obviously I was relieved.

I think the doctors didn't know what was wrong as no diagnosis was made and I was sent home.

I was ok for a couple of days then yesterday I started with the pain in my face again and a horrendous headache and I was really light headed. The pain was excruciating in my head and I never slept a wink last night and I almost called an ambulance again. I managed till morning and went to the
doctors this morning.

He told me when I had my blood test at the hospital the results had come back with raised white blood cells so he wants to run more blood tests. He was surprised the hospital never told me about the raised levels because I had needed another blood test. I have to wait not for the results.

He prescribed amitriptylene as he thinks the pain in my face is due to nerve pain and I took one (said take 2) this morning and my goodness it has knocked me for six, really knocking me out and feeling very spaced out until the effect wore off. I hate
taking tablets but I'm so grateful the headache has subsided and I was able to get some sleep, I've been sleeping all day and only just got up! I dread to think how 2 would have affected me.

On top of all that I've now got diarrhoea which is a side effect, (sorry, I know that's gross)

I'm really fed up, it's horrible feeling poorly, I dread to think how poor Ffosse and others who have chemo must feel because this is awful but nothing on the scale as to how the chemo affects them.

I will be so glad to get back to normal, if ever I was normal
that is.

I'm not sure what raised white cell count means but I sure hope it bogs off soon!

Thanks for listening, sometimes we just need someone to talk to and let off steam, I hate worrying my husband and family, especially my Dad, unfortunately I've had to tell him I'm unwell
because I couldn't go today and now he's worrying

Just seen this LQ,..I do hope you are feeling better?..thinking of you,x

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top