Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 03:11 PM

Re: Perks of Old Age !

some funnies there. Ouch Emjay, HWMO and I are both going tomorrow morning for ours.

By the way, I know this is off topic but it's vexing me. If anyone is ofay with grammar, just a question please.

When I typed "HWMO and me" my grammarly corrected me by saying I should put the word "I" in, but it didn't seem to make sense.... and I are going.... so had to add the word "both" to make sense of it. I could understand if it should read I am going... but I are going... ??? am I wrong or should I have said "I". It will drive me mad until I find out the answer. Thanks

"HWMO and I are going" DOH!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 04:15 PM

Who mentioned sex?
I never thought of it as a perk, a necessity!
I don't think I have any perks yet.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Who mentioned sex?
I never thought of it as a perk, a necessity!
I don't think I have any perks yet.
Some people's thoughts appear to be permanently engaged in thoughts of that activity, BORING!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 04:32 PM

Thank goodness it's Friday. I have just had a week of getting up at 5 am to 5.30 am as HWMO, although fully retired, helped out his previous company by doing some Fire Training classes for them whilst his replacement has been off ill.

I now know that retirement has finished me as a useful person in employment, I am now just a tired pensioner.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
some funnies there. Ouch Emjay, HWMO and I are both going tomorrow morning for ours.

By the way, I know this is off topic but it's vexing me. If anyone is ofay with grammar, just a question please.

When I typed "HWMO and me" my grammarly corrected me by saying I should put the word "I" in, but it didn't seem to make sense.... and I are going.... so had to add the word "both" to make sense of it. I could understand if it should read I am going... but I are going... ??? am I wrong or should I have said "I". It will drive me mad until I find out the answer. Thanks

There was no need to add ‘both’. It was correct to just say ‘HWMO and I are going’. You have explained that both of you are going, in that sentence.
Or... ‘HWMO are both going’
Confused.com
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 04:53 PM

Your back goes out more than you do
Your birthday cake can no longer support the weight of the candles
You think you know all the answers, but nobody will ask you the questions
You sink your teeth into a juicy steak...and they stay there..
You wake up looking like the photo on your passport..
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

28-09-2018, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Your back goes out more than you do
Your birthday cake can no longer support the weight of the candles
You think you know all the answers, but nobody will ask you the questions
You sink your teeth into a juicy steak...and they stay there..
You wake up looking like the photo on your passport..
Love em Primus, especially the juicy steak.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

After a preposition the pronoun takes the objective form so it's between you and me not you and I. If the verb is a doing one such as your instance then I is correct.

It's worth checking up on because one of the most common mistakes people make is with pronouns, often mistakenly believing I is correct in instances where it isn't. It's easy once you get the hang of it, and I don't claim to never make any mistakes myself but I have to be aware of others whilst proofreading.

During my illness I couldn't concentrate for more than 10 minutes at a time so work was onerous.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

28-09-2018, 05:31 PM

My goodness, there are some knowledgeable people on here. I shall certainly remember that if it is a "doing one" then it is I.

(thank goodness for Grammarly and OFF.)
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 07:35 PM

Hi SG! The perk for me which is a positive one, is having a bus pass!

I feel young for my age but l admit to using the ‘old age’ card as and when necessary!
I feel guilty about it but have a little giggle to myself!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top