Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 09:38 AM

Re: Evil but talented? Can you separate one from the other?

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I'm not really talking about people with mental illnesses, rather about wicked deeds. Those with mental conditions can't help being ill but those who are sane can help doing wicked things.
Hi

I agree TessA.

I do not agree with the modern way of thinking that those who commit Terrorist attacks etc are mentally ill.

They are just plain evil.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 09:42 AM

Yes Swim.
I wonder if we found out they had a talent, such as composing music or painting, would we say we admired their talent?
What if it was annonymously presented and we found out later, would we change our minds?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 09:44 AM

Osama Bin Laden loved horses .
Didnt stop him being a terrorist .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 09:44 AM

It's a bit odd that sportsmen who are accused or found guilty of crimes are usually still thought of as good sportsmen aren't they?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 09:45 AM

Oscar Pistorious ?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

15-12-2018, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Osama Bin Laden loved horses .
Didnt stop him being a terrorist .
Is loving horses a talent or a preference?
Was he a good horseman?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 09:51 AM

First time I had this dilemma was Gary Glitter, I was a fan until he was discovered to be such a terrible person. Immediately his music took on another meaning. I mean there he was collecting young girls to rape singing wanna be in my gang ? no that wasn't going to be played by me again.

I've found over the years it depends on what a person is accused of, were they found guilty or more importantly did I believe they were guilty.

I remained a cliff fan all through his troubles not believing a word against him. I'm not convinced of Rolf's guilt either so I have no problem with their songs and art.

Michael Jackson although not found guilty I found I can't listen without thinking he was guilty as sin. So no more listening to his music.

So for me it depends how the art or music makes me feel, if it seems too creepy no I can't but some I just can't believe they are guilty at all.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

15-12-2018, 09:54 AM

I don't know much about Pistorius, but if he was a good sportsman is it OK to say you admire his sporting prowess?
When stuff came out about Harris I remember being told by someone that I shouldn't say I liked his art as he was a pervert. It was almost as if saying anything about his painting meant you condoned what he did.
Does it make sense to take the person as a whole or as almost separate identities?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

15-12-2018, 09:58 AM

I think everyone admired Oskar Pistorious at first .
His magnificent achievement running so fast with no legs .
He changed the way people looked at disabled people he broke barriers in what they could do.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

15-12-2018, 10:03 AM

I always thought Glitter had a strange manic look when he sang and wasn't keen on his music anyway.
Michael Jackson was so very talented in many ways I don't think if he'd been found guilty I would have stopped listening to his music, probably because he was so messed up by his father. I don't really know why but possibly when you know the, sometimes dreadful, backgrounds of people you can lessen the blame. He sort of grew up with us watching.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top