Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 11:22 AM

Re: Rescuing People who put themselves in danger.

As I understand, all life insurance policies are cancelled for those who undertake certain dangerous sports, as and when they are active.

Things could have changed, but I'm sure boats must be insured for various eventualities and unforeseen circumstances . The cargo ships, ferries, passenger and cruise liners are all insured so why not the smaller boats ?

As a second thought, with the weather conditions and seasons changing world wide, maybe there should be more consideration to that side of thing now. Once upon a time crossing the Atlantic at a certain time of year could be considered a more or less 'safe bet', now the weather changes constantly and seasons seem to be up the shoot (or down the pan, whichever one prefers.)
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Yes, anyone who puts themselves & their rescuers in danger should be made to pay. I guess they don't always think of the outcome & often their exploits are successful, but those that aren't, should pay for their own rescue.

My friend was riding on the moor & her horse threw her, a friend with her got help, the rescue helicopter took her to the hospital, couldn't get an ambulance where she was. She gave a substantial donation to the air ambulance.
Good for your friend
Insurance usually covers ordinary horseriding and although it was the moors it's not the mid Atlantic .
Air ambulance is well worth it's cost IMO.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Good for your friend
Insurance usually covers ordinary horseriding and although it was the moors it's not the mid Atlantic .
Air ambulance is well worth it's cost IMO.
Yes, it is, for remote places on land where no ambulance can drive to.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 05:15 PM

Should everyone have insurance for high risk sports? Probably, but experience shows me that it is the novices or those who don't plan ahead who get themselves in trouble. The not-so-bright-person who decides on a whim to scale a rock face in a remote canyon would probably not have the forethought to have high-risk insurance.

When I was doing open-water lifeguarding, we tried not to separate people and make judgements about people who got into trouble. We assumed that every person we helped would be prone to panic or shock. The presumption is that everyone in the water is at risk - and dangerous. I made the informed choice to help, therefore also making the informed choice to put myself at risk. It comes with the territory.

Perhaps everyone should get one freebie with fines for recurring incidents that put first responders at risk?

It's a slippery slope when we start canceling life insurance policies for people who engage in certain activities. What about smoking, alcohol consumption, drug use, motorcycle drivers, people at risk for slipping in bathtubs, people who are sedentary? Different rates, perhaps, but cancellation?
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 09:29 PM

I've often wondered why people choose or even prefer to go climbing in the Highlands in the depths of winter rather than summer. Not much choice if you want to climb Everest but not here.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
In this recent case of the lady sailor being rescued from sea. I would imagine it is her intention to write a book about her experience? If so, maybe she should donate heavily to the rescue team charity that rescued her.
I understood she was picked up by a Chinese freighter that was in the area and responded to a mayday call or coastguard request.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 09:41 PM

Her family must have been beside themselves with worry!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top