Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 04:46 PM

Irritating Soggy Bottoms!

I need your valued advice please.

As you may know, I am useless at making pastry, so every month I stock up on Jusrol Puff and Shortcrust Pastry because we both love nothing better than an occasional freshly cooked Steak,Onion and Ale Pie.

I cannot recall the last time I ever bought a shop bought one in its foil case. I am extremely suspicious of handling and contents of shop pies. Silly I know, but I have heard such horror stories in the past from people that work in their factories.

However, after HWMO bought a Steak and Onion Pukka Pie with Chips for his supper one evening instead of his usual fish and chips, he decided that it was delicious. (I took his word for it). So next time, I bought half a dozen Pukka Pies from Sainsbury's. I know, I know.

Here then is the rub. I preheated my oven, placed the two pies in the centre of the oven on the regulo stated on the side of the pie box and reheated them for the correct time (25 minutes on 190). But when I went to take them out of the foil cases onto the plate, the bottoms looked disgusting!
a clear case of soggy bottom! HWMO ate his without comment but I couldn't touch mine.

So, with the next two, I thought, right, I will try doing them on a lower setting (180) for 35 minutes to give the bottoms longer to cook. NO GOOD! All it did was allow the tops to open up during cooking and I ended up with the filling spilling out onto the baking tray.AND the bottoms were still too soft and undercooked in anyone's opinion.

Last chance with the last two! This time I preheated them on the correct regulo (190) but... I took them out of the foil cases and placed them directly onto the baking tray. Half way through once the tops had browned, I placed their "tin hats" back over the tops to stop them burning and thought, surely they can't have soggy bottoms out of their tin hats!
When done, they were a bit better than soggy bottom, but still too underdone for either our liking, and not at all like when I do my own pies.

Help! Does anyone have a solution to this?. The Pukka Pies are the only pies I would shop buy, but not if they are going to continue to have soggy bottoms. I've practically given up but aside from telling HWMO to go to the chippie if he wants one, Any ideas please? I never have this problem with my own made pies cos I blind bake the bottom shortcrust pasty first before putting in the filling and a Puff Pastry top.but of course, I can't do that with a shop bought one for reheating.

Thanks x
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 04:49 PM

Re: Irritating Soggy Bottoms!

Pre heat a baking tray whilst pre heating the oven and place on that
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 04:57 PM

No good I'm afraid Missy. I always ensure the baking tray is in the oven when I preheat it. Thanks anyway.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 05:09 PM

Are they frozen to start with? I know the veggie chicken and leek pies we buy have that sort of soggy bottom bit but I always put that down to being frozen.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

28-10-2018, 05:15 PM

No LD, they're not frozen at all when bought. I must admit though that although with the first two, I took them out of the fridge to let them get to room temperature first, the other four I had to put into the freezer. When I used the second and third lot I transferred them to the fridge the day before and again brought them to room temperature before placing in the oven.

I really am at a loss! I won't be buying them again if this is how they are expected to be eaten. Yuk! I'm maybe hoping some clever cook on here has solved the problem themselves when doing them. Hope springs eternal.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 05:18 PM

cook it upside down, oh but then the top may have a soggy bottom too lol. Sorry, I can't help you but let us know if you find out SG x
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 05:19 PM

Take them out of the foil trays and cook them on a raised rack over a baking sheet allowing a heat to get underneath the pies.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 05:22 PM

What about turning them upside down half way?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Take them out of the foil trays and cook them on a raised rack over a baking sheet allowing a heat to get underneath the pies.
good idea our Judd
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

28-10-2018, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
What about turning them upside down half way?
oi, I suggested that first

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top