Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 12:03 PM

Attorney General fails to stop Contempt of Parliament

Well, that was a show and a half yesterday. Spent the best part of the day watching and listening to the AG as he appeared in the commons in person (a very rare occurance) as he tried unsuccessfully to explain why he is unable and unwilling to disclose the full legal advice of Brexit.

His explanation that he, as legal counsel for the government, would never divulge client privilege because it would not be in the nation's interest! certainly didn't cut the mustard with MP's because when the motion for Parliament to have full access to same was passed in the Commons on November 13th, the government didn't even put in an appearance to vote against it!!

So speaker Bercow has now given the green light for Contempt of Parliament by six MP's to be levied against the government with a demand to see the legal wording in FULL.

WOW! what else could possibly happen in this saga?
Must admit though, the Attorney General was an absolutely fanatastic speaker. theatrical, yes, a bit patronising yes, over-confident, yes, but a beautiful orator nevertheless. Reminds me of Churchill in a way.

Did anyone else watch the performance?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 12:05 PM

Re: Attorney General fails to stop Contempt of Parliament

I liked the MP shouted it's a trap Never heard the like in our parliament ever
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 12:16 PM

Yes Julie, I heard that too! it was like the Wild West in there yesterday.
What worried me though, was when asked, the Attorney General,(didn't he vote to leave?) admitted that there were parts of the backstop that even he disliked!! It does make one wonder just what sort of advice he gave to the government is contained in the full legal advice that he is so loathe to show to Parliament, the public and the EU??
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

04-12-2018, 12:17 PM

Also, even if they are found guilty of Contempt of Parliament, the government still doesn't have to publish the legal advice in full.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

04-12-2018, 12:24 PM

I also watched Stephen Barclay and Olly Robbins being questioned by a select committee yesterday. Ollie Robbins admitted that amongst the choices given regarding the termination of the backstop, there was one that gave both, the UK and the EU the right to terminate if not working. Theresa May turned this down!!! choosing instead this one that could keep us tied into it for ever if a solution is not found.

Also, Stephen Barclay didn't even seem to realise that we were leaving on the 29th March 2019, because he quoted 31st March 2019 when talking about the day we leave.

DOH!!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 12:27 PM

Hi

Interestingly it was Theresa May who, when she was an Opposition MP, wrote to the Speaker demanding that the full Legal Advice on the Iraq War be published.

How times change.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 12:30 PM

Hypocritical scumbag 'nasty party'!!! - There is precedence for the full publication of the Government's legal advice - when Tony Bliar sought legal advice on whether it was necessary to seek UN permission to launch attacks against Iraq. There was a clamour then for the Government to release the full legal advice and the scumbag 'nasty party' were in the forefront of those demanding it. mDifferent story when they want to keep something secret isn't it??? - hypocritical barstewards!!!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

04-12-2018, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Interestingly it was Theresa May who, when she was an Opposition MP, wrote to the Speaker demanding that the full Legal Advice on the Iraq War be published.

How times change.
True Swimmy, but my understanding is that it wasn't published until two years after Iraq. The AG is using the excuse that it would be impossible to disclose it now regarding Brexit because it is in the middle of negotiations and would not be in the nation's interests.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

04-12-2018, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Hypocritical scumbag 'nasty party'!!! - There is precedence for the full publication of the Government's legal advice - when Tony Bliar sought legal advice on whether it was necessary to seek UN permission to launch attacks against Iraq. There was a clamour then for the Government to release the full legal advice and the scumbag 'nasty party' were in the forefront of those demanding it. mDifferent story when they want to keep something secret isn't it??? - hypocritical barstewards!!!
I do agree Joe, Anything that pertains to Brexit should be fully available to Parliament before the meaningful vote is cast.
The motion to view the legal advice was passed in November. This should be honoured in full.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 12:48 PM

I can't see how it can be against our best interests I am guessing everything can be said about brexit is already out there unless he seriously thinks anything he has said is completely unique of course. So to not publish it has to be some other reason. Looking at his stance yesterday I thought it might be an interview for becoming next PM he was doing in the house.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top