Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 09:44 PM

Re: The parliamentary vote on the EU withdrawal bill may not go ahead today

Solasch wrote:

Thieves never walk with heads held up high. If you leave without paying what you signed up for, you're no more than common thieves. In the future nobody would deal with you, as you are branded frauds who do not pay their debts. Formulated in these terms, can you understand?

Well I don't see it like that at all Solasch…

Think about it like this... if you were a member of a golf club paying your membership fees and during that membership period you voted for various improvements to the club... but then after a while for whatever reason you decided to leave the club. In those circumstances you would not expect or be expected to continue paying for the clubs improvements as those improvements would be for the benefit of continuing members..... you would no longer be a member and not liable to pay membership fees.

Formulated in these terms I hope you understand
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Solasch wrote:

Thieves never walk with heads held up high. If you leave without paying what you signed up for, you're no more than common thieves. In the future nobody would deal with you, as you are branded frauds who do not pay their debts. Formulated in these terms, can you understand?

Think about it like this... if you were a member of a golf club paying your membership fees and during that membership period you voted for various improvements to the club... but then after a while for whatever reason you decided to leave the club. In those circumstances you would not expect or be expected to continue paying for the clubs improvements as those improvements would be for the benefit of continuing members..... you would no longer be a member and not liable to pay membership fees.

But would you be expected to pay the fees up to the moment of leaving. The £39 billion is approx. half for fees due over the period till march 29 2019. The other half is for the transition period.
In case of a no deal brexit there is no transition period, so no fees. But the fees for your membership till 29 march are still due. Starting to understand?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 12:27 PM

I'd say those fees should be stopped at point the EU became antagonistic to us and started treating us like rivals instead of members. I'd also say they should give us credit for things we've paid for and won't have access to in future too.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 12:32 PM

Solasch wrote:

But if you didn't pay the membership you wouldn't expect to continue to use the facilities, changing room, showers, gym etc. That is what the UK want from the EU. We don't want membership but we still want to use there facilities.

It is about understanding that the EU is a rule based organisation and not a political one as the UK is.

Going running to the dinner lady saying, they are being nasty to us, they won't let us leave, they keep calling us names, etc is not only pathetic but demeaning in the extreme.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 01:17 PM

Hi

What I or any other member on this forum thinks is irrelevant.

The matter will be decided through the International Courts.

In the meantime, if the International Money Markets decide we have defaulted or are likely to, our borrowing costs will rocket and they will not be lending us any more.

If they do that, the £19 Billion will look like an absolute bargain.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

What I or any other member on this forum thinks is irrelevant.

The matter will be decided through the International Courts.

In the meantime, if the International Money Markets decide we have defaulted or are likely to, our borrowing costs will rocket and they will not be lending us any more.

If they do that, the £19 Billion will look like an absolute bargain.
Let me beat jbr, realist and others to it: project fear/hysteria at work.
🤐
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Let me beat jbr, realist and others to it: project fear/hysteria at work.
🤐
Hi

That is how the system works however.

They are our Bank Managers and we have a huge overdraft.

They are bean counters, they will do whatever suits them best.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 02:32 PM

Solasch wrote:

I pay the annual fee, for my Golf Club, on 1st May

If I leave,during that year, I get nothing back.

It's charged on the basis that you are paying for the staff/maintenance work, etc, for the next year.

All of which is in the annual budget which they fund in advance!

Only if you are sick do you get anything back.

Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

15-12-2018, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I pay the annual fee, for my Golf Club, on 1st May

If I leave,during that year, I get nothing back.

It's charged on the basis that you are paying for the staff/maintenance work, etc, for the next year.

All of which is in the annual budget which they fund in advance!

Only if you are sick do you get anything back.

The EU functions on trust. In 2015 the UK promised to pay for the budget 2017-2019. Annual payments are made in the budgettary year. The EU trusts the UK to pay. So if the UK is trustworthy.......
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
The EU functions on trust. In 2015 the UK promised to pay for the budget 2017-2019. Annual payments are made in the budgettary year. The EU trusts the UK to pay. So if the UK is trustworthy.......
I think that's fair enough, but Aricle 50 (section 2) states that when a member state leaves the EU, then the EU must provide a details of the future trade relationship ...

Quid pro quo ...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top