Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 03:01 PM

Re: The Undateables - Channel 4

It looks like a typical channel 4 programe, have you seen that embarissing bodies that they put on?
They don't seem very embarrased to me, they are flopping all parts of their bodies out for the camera.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 03:46 PM

Not for me either I'm afraid, but whatever you watch is up to you.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 04:08 PM

Not for me, either. The title is enough to put me off, and the previews do nothing to make it any more attractive to me. It feels rather exploitative to me.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
Thats a sad point of view I most certainly wont be watching for entertainment. I doubt that the people who the show is about had guns held to their heads too.. I expect they appreciate someone touching on their problems for a change and not just labelling them as disabled.
It is quite a sad point of view Cassie, a little cynical as well. Of course, the people participating would not have been co-erced. However, I don't think a Channel 4 programme like the one I suspect this one may be is the best platform for hoping viewers will appreciate and go on to understand the problems some people face just trying to live their lives, I don't think the programme is designed to be in their best interest, although they will be on TV for a little while. I believe it is the viewing figures which motivate the makers of this programme and others like it. I doubt it is an informative documentary programme on the nature of the medical conditions the participants are coping with. As I said, I am cynical, but I hope the programme proves me wrong. Tourette's syndrome is quite a disabling condition and I was not simply labelling people or using the term disabled in any derogatory way. If there is a more suitable generalist word which will cover a variety of conditions that impose challenges and potential limitations on people's lives I will gladly use it.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

28-03-2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
I expect they appreciate someone touching on their problems for a change and not just labelling them as disabled.
Exactly what I was hoping for Cassie although as I said previously I think maybe that is wishful thinking.

However, as Keller is reputed to have said,
"a candle loses nothing by lighting another candle"
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 10:30 PM

I may have to give up TV after the watershed( does that still exist)I dont wish to see peoples odd bodies or others writhing about in bed and listening to foul language from all and sundry, I will listen too the radio in my bedroom.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2012, 10:26 AM

As far as I know Annie there is still the watershed at 9pm but I agree with you the quality of some tv leaves a lot to be desired. I often watch a good murder mystery on ITV3 now at 9.00 rather than what is on the main channels. Then the news at 10.00 and then to bed. TV is supposed to be entertaining in my book and a lot of the programmes on don't do it for me at all.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 12:11 AM

As I have a condition myself, I watch it because I can relate to it.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 06:07 AM

And don't forget these shows are also very cheap to make compared with drama and "proper" documentaries.

Perhaps I'm in the minority but I dislike almost all "reality" shows as I agree they are often demeaning, intrusive and depend on people being "odd" or "different" as if that's entertainment. However, they are obviously profitable - and that's all TV companies are interested in.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
As I have a condition myself, I watch it because I can relate to it.
I decided to watch the programme after it was mentioned on here and found it thought provoking.
I feel it gave me an insight into the difficulties some people have when finding a partner.

Maybe it will help to demonstrate to people that there is someone for everyone if they have the confidence to get out there and search for themselves.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top