Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 01:40 PM

Re: St Georges Day

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
If Jezza gets voted in .. he has promised more bank holidays, we will have,
HAMAS day
IRA day
Cuba day and
Carl Marx day

At least you might have the good grace and manners to spell corretly - KARL MARX!!!

Other than that I have no qualms with celebrating my comrades celebrations.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Today is the `traditional` day to pick dandelions for wine. .
I never knew that - you learn something in here every day.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Well said, Twink, I am not British but I agree with the sentiment.

Yes but it would have a lot more meaning and relevance if the person were actually British or at least had some connection with the British Isles. The present 'patron saint' had neither!!!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 01:48 PM

13th October....St Maggie's Day.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes but it would have a lot more meaning and relevance if the person were actually British or at least had some connection with the British Isles. The present 'patron saint' had neither!!!
St Patrick wasn't Irish either - but we celebrate his day (and how !!!) so why not celebrate St George? I do not agree with killing dragons - but apart from that what's wrong with him? He must have had something about him or he would not have been chosen to represent England.

"Cry God for Harry, England and St George !"
Amber63
United Kingdom West sussex
Amber63 is female 

23-04-2017, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
If Jezza gets voted in .. he has promised more bank holidays, we will have,
HAMAS day
IRA day
Cuba day and
Carl Marx day

Rehab, you are probably right.

Happy At George's day everyone!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 01:54 PM

So would I. We make more fuss over 'Yorkshire Day' on August 1st than we do of poor old St George !
Only we Yorkies do that to remember the treachery of government tearing the county up into smaller pieces.

St. George's Day is a national celebration or at least should be. At least it made it to Google's home page.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
13th October....St Maggie's Day.
25th October - Battle of Agincourt
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

23-04-2017, 01:58 PM

St Patrick wasn't Irish either - but we celebrate his day (and how !!!) so why not celebrate St George? I do not agree with killing dragons - but apart from that what's wrong with him? He must have had something about him or he would not have been chosen to represent England.

"Cry God for Harry, England and St George !"

No, he wasn't born in Ireland, but he at least had a connection with the country, which is more than can be said of that Romano-Turkish reprobate!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick
Amber63
United Kingdom West sussex
Amber63 is female 

23-04-2017, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I wasn't spoiling it - someone else did that - I merely raised the question why we need a 'patron saint' which was foisted on us by the Catholic church who had no connection with the British Isles whatsoever and that there were other more worthy names throughout our history who are far more emanently suitable.
I think if we consider every festival or patron saint's days origin, we would never celebrate anything. After all Easter was originally pagan, Christmas too, we do not know the actual day of Christ's birth so use a pagan festival. Saints are not always native to the country they are patron of, but are chosen for feat or deed. Let us just be proud of what they represent for us as a nation and as individuals

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top