Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 09:59 AM

Re: The Apostrophe Vigilante.

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Ha Ha!

Good one Mup's!

ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The British Eccentric is alive and living.

A man in Bristol is on a mission to sort out wrongly placed apostrophes on signs.

He operates at night, great fun.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-3945...nte-of-bristol

Perhaps we need an apostrophe monitor on here.
My hero!!

I'd apply for the job, but experience has taught me it's a good way to piss folk off on here.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
My hero!!

I'd apply for the job, but experience has taught me it's a good way to piss folk off on here.
Hi

Yes, thought you would like it.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 10:21 AM

Re Apostrophe Police, shoot on sight.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 11:30 AM

Well placed apostrophes can be just the ticket, take the Lady aristocrat Marquis Mellvile, when she is apostrofied, she becomes Marq'U'I'Smell'Vile.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Our language becomes more American day by day.
That's something that dismays me too. I suppose it's inevitable that it should be happening, what with all the American films and TV programmes, to say nothing about spell checkers being set at the default US 'English'.

I avoid commenting of people's misuse of apostrophes on here, and the same goes for grammar and spelling, as it would make me sound patronising.

Seeing such things still makes me cringe, though! Sorry!
Amber63
United Kingdom West sussex
Amber63 is female 

27-04-2017, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That's something that dismays me too. I suppose it's inevitable that it should be happening, what with all the American films and TV programmes, to say nothing about spell checkers being set at the default US 'English'.

I avoid commenting of people's misuse of apostrophes on here, and the same goes for grammar and spelling, as it would make me sound patronising.

Seeing such things still makes me cringe, though! Sorry!
I do agree, and am terrible for correcting my Son when he messages me, although I do use all the abbreviations when I text, tbh
I was having this discussion with a friend and she said 'what would Shakespeare think of it all now?' I thought about it and decided, he would probably love it, as he invented so much slang himself, and misused language often to get his point over. So I guess what was good for the Bard...........lol
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 07:38 PM

It's the apostrophe that goes after the 's' that l have trouble with! I know it should be there but it always looks so stupid and odd!
Sometimes, on here, l don't add it where it should occur after the 's'. I cringe as l send my post, thinking, 'l'm going to get slaughtered here by some pedantic member who will be scrutinising my post for correct punctuation'!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
It's the apostrophe that goes after the 's' that l have trouble with! I know it should be there but it always looks so stupid and odd!
Sometimes, on here, l don't add it where it should occur after the 's'. I cringe as l send my post, thinking, 'l'm going to get slaughtered here by some pedantic member who will be scrutinising my post for correct punctuation'!
Google the word in your sentence ?

usually works
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 07:56 PM

Arty, if there's an S on the end of the word because there's more than one of them, then the apostrophe goes after the S...like the posters' photo competition, or the members' list

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top