Join for free
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 06:21 PM

Re: Should UK police officers be routinely carrying Tasers?

Originally Posted by galty ->
Edited before I saw your reply.

I have a massive problem with spelling so I don't need sneering remarks about my afflection
Keep your hair on Galty I was not sneering I actually looked it up .
Ps I am a rotten speller too and my auto correct has a life of its own
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 07:17 PM

Yes, PC Keith Palmer might be alive if he had been armed.

The borough market attack might have been averted if officers had been ssued with a taser.

Officers can decide if they wish to use one.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
They should have tasers and a .44 magnum. Feeling lucky punk?
What a good idea throw an ice lolly at them.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 07:25 PM

Latest news I've just seen is that Northamptonshire police officers are to carry Tasers:

"Tasers will be issued to every frontline officer in a police force in response to a "rising level of violence" against emergency services.

Northamptonshire Chief Constable Nick Adderley said the decision to issue the electric stun weapons was not taken lightly.

The force said it had seen almost a 50% increase in attacks on police officers in the past two years."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-49405005

It would seem that Northamptonshire is not the only area to arm their police with Tasers, this news item from March 2019 indicates that Kent police are already doing this:

"Kent Police is quadrupling the number of officers carrying Tasers.

Any frontline officer will be able to choose Taser training and up to 1,500 officers are expected to opt in, with £750,000 initially allocated.

Kent - which currently has 330 officers trained to use Tasers - said it was because of a large rise in knife crime.

The Police Federation welcomed the provision of the "right equipment". Amnesty said it had serious concerns about Taser use in day-to-day policing.

Ch Con Alan Pughsley said more officers had been recruited and deployed but added: "I am increasingly of the view that it isn't enough when we are dealing with violent county lines organised crime."

He said during his time as chief constable he had steadily increased Taser availability to officers facing aggression and violence and he was "firmly of the view that it is now the right thing to do".

There were 1,112 assaults on Kent officers in 2017-18, he added."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-47644493
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
What a good idea throw an ice lolly at them.
Blimey mate, have you developed a sense of humour?, or are we still living in hope?.....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Yes .
Not every officer but older experienced men with the right temperament .
As it is they are vulnerable and defenceless.
Women officers should definitely carry them .

There is a lack of fear of any consequence today .
Criminals just don't give a monkeys about consequences .
Immediate immobilisation. will at least give some protection to the officier .
Careful, Muddy, they'll set the bra burning, hairy armpits, equality brigade after you!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 07:44 PM

We should be proud that Police have resisted being armed for this long. Society has to support them if we expect them to face increasingly violent incidents, seemingly even routine.
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Should our police be routinely carrying Tasers as protection against the rising levels of violence towards themselves and other members of society?

Violence it seems is increasing and yet police are expected to deal with situations that are increasingly more violent. Is this getting to where they cannot protect themselves and if so how can they be expected to protect the public? Would it be better to allow them to carry Tasers in addition to the CS gas and extendable batons they routinely carry?

Would you expect a member of your family, as a serving police officer, to face the increasing violence of today, armed with what is basically their training plus an expanding metal stick and a canister of CS gas?

https://news.sky.com/story/every-uk-...dicts-11746396

We are probably all well aware of the increasing levels of violence so what are your views on this?
Yes, of course they should all have Tasers. Its common sense and personal cameras.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 08:20 PM

Tasers, Yes, Firearms, No.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 08:23 PM

By the way. TASER stands for Thomas A Swift's Electric Rifle.

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top