Join for free
Page 19 of 22 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 02:02 PM

Re: Vitamin D Defficiency and Mobility Issues in Old People

Galty I don’t eat meat if I can help it . I think it’s because I’m not a red meat lover . Sometimes I get a chicken breast to cook.
Opposed to you tho I don’t get tired or suffer fatigue despite my age ,roundabout yours.
Today tho despite hot temperatures I could hardly raise myself off the bed , then my legs were so weak I was wobbling and my bone and muscle pains are no less so they don’t seem connected to what I would call rheumatism that apparently eases when warmer temperatures occur .
Sooner we get sorted with these blood tests the better ?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Twink.

I think you have proved Relist post 3 right.

Was a shame he was abused over it.

Will be asking my Doc if I am lacking in Vit D for a prescribed supplement.

As said before am lacking in B12 because I don't eat a lot of meat any more and got sick to death of oily fish.

Also my protine levels might be down.
Galty, there is absolutely no doubt that the main source of vitamin D comes from the sun, but with so many skin cancer scares these days people are afraid to expose their skin to it.... and that is what we need to do.
Apparently just exposing your skin to the sun for 20 minutes a day is enough, but sadly we don't get that much sun in the winter, so supplements prevent us becoming ill through Vit D deficiency.
What post 3 said was partially true, but it is also important to top up you Vit D during the winter unless you live in a warm country with lots of sun....so it was wrong to say they are not needed, especially by older people!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 04:27 PM

Was feeling a bit down last year.

Went to Vegas(Sun about the same strength as Northern Spain)

20 Minutes a day no sun block for the 11 days.

Felt well after that till about March this year.

Sun is important.

Think we need more at this age.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2019, 04:09 PM

Had my blood test today .
The full works were ordered apparently so 4 tubes.

Cloud cover day after day up here apart from the Bank Holiday few days respite when sunshine vitamin could be lapped up .
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Was feeling a bit down last year.

Went to Vegas(Sun about the same strength as Northern Spain)

20 Minutes a day no sun block for the 11 days.

Felt well after that till about March this year.

Sun is important.

Think we need more at this age.
You are completely correct. Following "conventional wisdom" is a folly. We need sunlight. We need to get it as often as possible, directly onto our body, but not to the point that it becomes either painful of uncomfortable.

Little and often is the way.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Had my blood test today .
The full works were ordered apparently so 4 tubes.

Cloud cover day after day up here apart from the Bank Holiday few days respite when sunshine vitamin could be lapped up .
Saw the Doctor to day.

B12 down. tablets

Iron is down. tablets

Then mentioned this thread and said what was said on it.

I had the symptoms mentioned by you lot

Right I am told by the Doctor....We have not tested for lack of Vit D

But she accept it and gave me another form to have a blood test for Vit D deficiency...but will have to wait a month to have it done.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 12:05 AM

are you eating decent food Galty???

I eat 2 to 3 different types of fresh veg every evening meal and various fruits each day. Brocolli, green beans, courgettes etc and cherries, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries and bananas.

Vitamins should come from what you eat not pills.

Why are you low on B12 and iron?
Zuleika
North West UK

05-09-2019, 12:00 PM

Got my blood test results back already ,everything OK apart from VitD level was 22 so there's a prescription waiting for me .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Got my blood test results back already ,everything OK apart from VitD level was 22 so there's a prescription waiting for me .
That is quite low Zuleika. Not sure how long your prescription is for, but I would ask for another test in 3 months if you don't notice a significant difference.... because there will not be much sun in the winter so you may need it for longer.

I went from about 24 up to 57 on a 3 month prescription so it worked well for me. Sometimes people have to take them for much longer. Good luck!
Zuleika
North West UK

05-09-2019, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
That is quite low Zuleika. Not sure how long your prescription is for, but I would ask for another test in 3 months if you don't notice a significant difference.... because there will not be much sun in the winter so you may need it for longer.

I went from about 24 up to 57 on a 3 month prescription so it worked well for me. Sometimes people have to take them for much longer. Good luck!
Have the prescription now Twink
These are HUX. Vegetarian capsules .
Take 20,000iu 3 times a day for 5 days ,then 400iu " over the counter" ( buy them yourself ) daily.
Doesn't say for how long those have to be taken .

Page 19 of 22 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top