Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2011, 05:58 PM

Re: Your favourite towns/cities?

Zanzibar and London
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2011, 10:31 PM

Absolutely despise London to visit. Horrid place with what I found to be very ignorant people. Sorry, but that was what I found.

To live, well, I loved Worcester, but by far and away my most favourite place to live was Berlin. That was before the wall came down. Fantastic.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by poppycock ->
Washington DC and here in the uK it has to be Portsmouth

Have relatives across the water from you darlin' in Gosport.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 12:44 PM

It's a difficult one because there are so many interesting places for different reasons but "Rome" has got to be up there for me.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by rueben ->
It's a difficult one because there are so many interesting places for different reasons but "Rome" has got to be up there for me.

Reuben darlin' - did you see the news over the weekend??? - apparently archaeologists have located a wall inside some of the caverns underneath the city near the Coliseum with an almost intact mosaic which is estimated to be more than 2000 years old.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Reuben darlin' - did you see the news over the weekend??? - apparently archaeologists have located a wall inside some of the caverns underneath the city near the Coliseum with an almost intact mosaic which is estimated to be more than 2000 years old.
No I didn't see that Uncle Joe but it sounds very interesting. Several years ago we visited the site of Pompeii and the smaller lesser known site of Herculaneum/Ercolano. Herculaneum was a wealthier town than Pompeii with much better preserved remains there and vast areas underneath the modern day town still to excavate.The belief is there are many artifacts to find of wealth and interest buried there.It's all fascinating stuff when new finds are unearthed.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

01-08-2011, 02:18 PM

No I didn't see that Uncle Joe but it sounds very interesting. Several years ago we visited the site of Pompeii and the smaller lesser known site of Herculaneum/Ercolano. Herculaneum was a wealthier town than Pompeii with much better preserved remains there and vast areas underneath the modern day town still to excavate.The belief is there are many artifacts to find of wealth and interest buried there.It's all fascinating stuff when new finds are unearthed.
Ancient Rome is not really my period of history - I prefer ancient Egypt. Have been to Luxor and seen the Valleys of the Kings and Queens. I wanted to go into a particular tomb of the kings whilst I was there, but regrettably that tomb wasn't open.
rueben
lancs uk

01-08-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Ancient Rome is not really my period of history - I prefer ancient Egypt. Have been to Luxor and seen the Valleys of the Kings and Queens. I wanted to go into a particular tomb of the kings whilst I was there, but regrettably that tomb wasn't open.
I think ancient civilizations in general are interesting Egypt being another.- Did you manage to visit the Cairo museum? it's an amazing place full of Tutankhamun's treasures and artifacts recovered from his tomb as well as other things. When in Cairo I went into one of the pyramids but to be honest I did not care for that as it made me feel very claustrophobic all those low small passageways before one gets to the heart of it.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 05:59 PM

I think ancient civilizations in general are interesting Egypt being another.- Did you manage to visit the Cairo museum? it's an amazing place full of Tutankhamun's treasures and artifacts recovered from his tomb as well as other things. When in Cairo I went into one of the pyramids but to be honest I did not care for that as it made me feel very claustrophobic all those low small passageways before one gets to the heart of it.
We visited the Cairo Museum on our first trip to Egypt and I was surprised at how big it was. The Tutankhamun room with all the treasures and artifacts was truly amazing.

We stayed in Luxor for our second visit, on Crocodile Island (now renamed King's Island). We visited to the Valley of the Kings, and went inside Tutankhamun's tomb, I was surprised how small it was compared to other tombs around.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

02-08-2011, 07:37 AM

No Reuben darlin' I missed Cairo altogether - flew directly to Luxor and spent the first week cruising the Nile down to Aswan and back. Karnak temple was an amazing place - so much history to it!!! Would love to be there if they ever perform the Opera Aida there again.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top