Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 02:17 PM

Sultana Cake

I normally like to bake on a Sunday and I found this lovely recipe. I also add orange juice mixed with the milk and a bit of mixed spice. I also bake in a square tin. Cut into quarters and freeze a third. It's so delicious and moreish. Enjoy

Sultana Cake
Sweet, moist and totally moreish, this Sultana cake is perfect with a cup of tea

Melted butter, to grease
250g butter, softened
215g (1 cup) caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
3 eggs
450g (3 cups) plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
125ml (1/2 cup) milk
385g (2 1/4 cups) sultanas
Butter, to serve

Step 1
Preheat oven to 170°C. Brush a 9 x 19cm (base measurement) loaf pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line the base and 2 opposite sides with non-stick baking paper.

Step 2
Use an electric beater to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a medium bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition until the mixture is combined.

Step 3
Sift together the flour and baking powder. Fold half the flour mixture into the butter mixture and stir in half the milk. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and milk until well combined. Use a metal spoon to fold in sultanas.

Step 4
Spoon cake mixture into prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake in preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven. Set aside in the pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool. Cut into slices and serve warm or at room temperature with butter, if desired.

Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 02:32 PM

Re: Sultana Cake

I've passed this recipe onto my wife and daughter.
It sounds absolutely delicious, so with any luck, they will take the hint.

Thankyou, Goldie.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hanfonius ->
I've passed this recipe onto my wife and daughter.
It sounds absolutely delicious, so with any luck, they will take the hint.

Thankyou, Goldie.
I can highly recommend it. x
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 04:23 PM

It does sound nice but would it work without the sultanas? I don't like anything with sultanas in. Any ideas for a substitute?
Goldielocks
Spain

17-04-2016, 04:35 PM

You could try currants. I have done it with tinned pears or try carrot as well
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
You could try currants. I have done it with tinned pears or try carrot as well
Thank you. I like the idea of tinned pears. I'm not very fond of currants and sultanas.
Goldielocks
Spain

17-04-2016, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Thank you. I like the idea of tinned pears. I'm not very fond of currants and sultanas.

Perhaps try coconut. I am not sure about that you could try coconut and carrot though
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 09:37 PM

Sounds delish.

Please don't take this as criticism as I am pretty much at war with sugar, but I have some suggestions for some tweaks.

The sultanas themselves will have plenty of sweetness so I would drastically reduce the sugar content, probably down to 50g and I would probably use a dark sugar like muscovado or Demerara.

The butter I would switch out totally for the infinitely more healthy Coconut Oil (same weight used).

The sultanas I would soak overnight in sherry, particularly a deep treacly Pedro Ximinez which has complimentary sweet raisiny flavours.
Goldielocks
Spain

17-04-2016, 10:15 PM

I am happy for you to tweak as much as you want. As all recipes we change as we wish. I suggested to one member to use pears as an alternative
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 10:29 PM

Seriously Goldie.
I just don't like Sultanas, Raisins and that type of food.
It all sounds very nice though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top