Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 12:43 PM

Re: Childrens Books:Do You Remember These?

I devoured every book that came my way, from Enid Blyton, Dickens, Dumas, Robert Louis Stevenson, plus of course Little Women, Anne of Green Gables and their sequels. I loved The Scarlet Pimpernel, Robinson Crusoe, Kidnapped etc. I also read all of my deceased Dad's Saint books by Leslie Charteris, he had the whole lot. Then I moved on to Dennis Wheatley, The Devil Rides Out and To the Devil a Daughter.

I still read at least two books a week. I prefer real books, but also have a huge selection on Kindle. I rarely read a book twice, except for To Kill a Mockingbird (my favourite), which I have read several times.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 11:37 AM

When I was a nipper one book that I read time and time again was called "King of the Golden River".
Every Christmas at Sunday school we were all given books. I had "Robinson Crusoe" "Swiss Family Robinson" "Roving Traders" and several more the names of which I have forgotten.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 12:08 PM

As a young teenager it was 'Fanny Hill' all the way for quite a few years.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Welshie ->
the books i read as a child were all by Enid Blyton : Famous Five, Secret Seven, Mallory Towers and St Clares
i still have these collections on my book shelf as i cant bear to part with them
Those are the same ones I had. All gone now though. But I have been pondering with the idea of downloading them in audio books, just to revisit a carefree happy, (mostly) time when I could lose myself in a book world.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 03:40 PM

I loved the famous five and secret seven books, I went to our local library every saturday and got them, now I buy them for my grandchildren.
Westender
Sussex, UK
Westender is male  Westender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 01:21 PM

I wallowed in Enid Blyton's Far Away Tree series of books! Very imaginative and a tad scary at the time.
Dame Slap's School for example.
It's amazing what you might find at the top of a ladder.
Toffeeman55
East Yorkshire UK
Toffeeman55 is male 

07-07-2020, 01:39 PM

I am 64 yrs old so I guess my first real brush with the written word happened around 54 yrs ago!!!!!....at one of our regular village 'Jumble' sales I bought a box of mixed items, one of which was a copy of Emil and the Detectives, I clearly remember picking this book up during a rainy school holiday and being captivated by it....set in and around Berlin, a 11yr old boy sent to live with his Grandmother, his spending money gets stolen and a mystery ensures...could not put it down....I have not been without a book by my side since.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	71b40d8e8f331d084e74457828cf3fbd.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	13152  
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 02:40 PM

I must have been about 14 when my English teacher took me to the school library and told me I had to start reading some fiction other than The Victor and The Eagle in order to improve my vocabulary. He chose a couple of books that he thought might interest me (Ngaio Marsh was one author I remember) and I was instantly stuck. Until then reading wasn't a big part of my life at all. These days I can demolish a book in a couple of weeks - thank God for charity shops and Asda for discounted paperbacks - and, yes, thank you Mr McAlistair, my vocabulary did improve by leaps and bounds.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top