Join for free
Page 15 of 17 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2016, 01:37 PM

Re: BREXIT: The Facts Behind EU Propaganda

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
See my bold.
I have to correct you Twink...those who question the Rules or even refer to them on the open forum now get a ban.

This will no doubt earn me a second ban.

But in all fairness it must be said.
Ruthio, I think you will find that I didn't question the rules I merely pointed out that those who complain about them still choose to stay. If use of the word "rules" requires a banning, then I would be happy to accept it , because I choose to follow the rules.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2016, 01:44 PM

**Please note this thread has been referred to Admin.
It would be a shame to lock the dissussion 'pending a review by Admin ' so we will allow the topic to continue .
Please stick to the topic
thank you

Asia
Inner Mongolia, China
Asia is male 

25-11-2016, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Having read through the posts, I would just like to say that Meg seemed to be defending her country, which isn't surprising considering the title of this thread.
The above posts by Asia seem to suggest that he was attacking the poster, rather than the post, in both highlighted quotes.
This is a great forum, where even those who complain about the rules still choose to remain, so can I suggest, Asia, that you learn a little more about it before making angry attacks. I am sure you will find many interesting debates on here, but I have always personally found that it is much easier if you understand the angle that the opposing views are coming from. Where I was taught how to debate, they always said it was better to understand the oppositions reasoning, if you wanted to oppose it well. That is why I find it wrong, to totally base your position on computer links, which after all, are just other people's opinions!
Well, I must admit I’ve had a bad day, but I object to personal comments and a very obvious lead to comment on moderation, which would have had obvious consequences. Meg is quite welcome to take me on in political science if she so wishes, but I’ve not noticed that so far and I doubt it will happen, despite the bravado behind the personal comments.

Read the first thread post, I’m delighted the UK Brexited and willing to discuss, debate and argue that for ever more. Rule Britannia and God Save the Queen, why not? What I add are the reasons why the UK is now in a precarious position, having been in countries that followed the same path. ‘We’ll manage’ doesn’t do it for me.

By the way, a few of the links are mine, they’re links to my neutral articles, not just websites; I include those for further information to prevent posts turning into essays. I publish some of my real stuff if you’re a political animal, in international publications such as China Daily, or Pravda, under pseudonyms. This is a forum, the stuff I write here is from the top of my head.

I haven’t had much debate worth commenting on, I didn’t expect to, but am happy to engage if I did. I’m also quite prepared to discuss China, but come on; most of the information is from people who got their views from the Daily Mail and that’s no debate, hence my style of writing.
Asia
Inner Mongolia, China
Asia is male 

25-11-2016, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
Hi again Asia,please continue - you are like a breath of fresh air and just what this country and website needs. 'We' appreciate your involvement as a new member and your ability to 'call it as you see it'.
Thanks Gumbud, it's people like you who keep me going, but I'm afraid I may have stepped on the toes of someone a little higher than I in the food chain. I suppose that's one to get revenge, or save having to debate? I wouldn't have reported any of this, a quick tiff and carry on, as I said.
Doesn't say much for future threads though does it, if we're going to have to follow a script? Oh well . . . Thanks anyway, appreciated.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2016, 02:18 PM

Asia.... do keep posting and don't be deterred by a few disruptive members.

As it says on the index page, this forum is worldwide .. the biggest and busiest and the majority of us are pleased to hear an alternate viewpoint, even if it conflicts with our own. We don't all feel the need to disrupt a good debate.
Asia
Inner Mongolia, China
Asia is male 

25-11-2016, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Please stick to the topic
thank you

[/I]
Yes, I did mention that. You're welcome and quite right too
Asia
Inner Mongolia, China
Asia is male 

25-11-2016, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Asia.... do keep posting and don't be deterred by a few disruptive members.

As it says on the index page, this forum is worldwide .. the biggest and busiest and the majority of us are pleased to hear an alternate viewpoint, even if it conflicts with our own. We don't all feel the need to disrupt a good debate.
Thank you Morticia, again appreciated
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2016, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Asia ->
Well, I must admit I’ve had a bad day, but I object to personal comments and a very obvious lead to comment on moderation, which would have had obvious consequences. Meg is quite welcome to take me on in political science if she so wishes, but I’ve not noticed that so far and I doubt it will happen, despite the bravado behind the personal comments.

Read the first thread post, I’m delighted the UK Brexited and willing to discuss, debate and argue that for ever more. Rule Britannia and God Save the Queen, why not? What I add are the reasons why the UK is now in a precarious position, having been in countries that followed the same path. ‘We’ll manage’ doesn’t do it for me.

By the way, a few of the links are mine, they’re links to my neutral articles, not just websites; I include those for further information to prevent posts turning into essays. I publish some of my real stuff if you’re a political animal, in international publications such as China Daily, or Pravda, under pseudonyms. This is a forum, the stuff I write here is from the top of my head.

I haven’t had much debate worth commenting on, I didn’t expect to, but am happy to engage if I did. I’m also quite prepared to discuss China, but come on; most of the information is from people who got their views from the Daily Mail and that’s no debate, hence my style of writing.
I had hoped to get this thread back on topic but have to respond to your latest post Asia

I get the impression from your attitue (and your posts) that you thought we were all going to fall on our knees with admiration at your posts and that most of us are 'beneath you' with your referrence to 'Mail readers'

Sorry we can't all oblige sir and I Meg the member will not be patronised and bullied by any man . I think I should just make that clear .
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2016, 02:31 PM

Meg ... as a member to another member .... please let it go.
Your continual harassing and last-worditis is doing nothing but add more angst.
None of us like to see this level of discord on the forum.
Please stop bickering.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2016, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Asia ->
Folks, you’re giving me ONS and EU stats. It’s why the government were able to drag you into the EU, wreck the economy and tell you Brown was the greatest Chancellor in history. You left out, Britain is booming, people are rushing to invest and high street businesses are confident.

The UK unemployment rate is under 5%? Yet The Guardian estimate 33% have been in poverty in the last decade and food banks are booming, yet the ONS state the UK has the lowest rate of poverty since 2008? Walk down your local high street, or drive around your local council estates and see the devastation. The EU tell you that European unemployment is around 10%, but don’t mention the Spanish youth unemployment is 43.9 in 2016 (Statista). The US also play the same statistics game, unemployment at around 5% and yet 46 million on food stamps.

You mention China a lot, so let me give you a different perspective away from the BBC and the Daily Mail.

There are no ‘gang masters’ here to exploit the destitute farm labourer immigrants. There is a minimum wage and it’s a criminal offence to go under it. Sure, you’ll find the odd sweat shop in the big cities, but when they’re caught, they suffer. Most of the sweatshops are in places like Pakistan, India and Bangladesh.

I pay 10% tax, no VAT, no add-ons. I smoke (shame) and a packet of English type ciggies cost the equivalent of 95p, tax paid. I get electric free, but some pay around £10 a month. A bus journey anywhere within the city limits is a flat 10p. A basic staple meal of rice or potatoes, lamb and veg at a café type place is around 30p. You can’t compare the East with the west. Elderly people are not mugged here, they don’t get abandoned in care homes (it’s the law that children look after their parents) and tens of thousands of elderly don’t die each year of hypothermia either.

Now, you won’t see that in the daily rags, but you’ll be told how good you have it, as the political elite rob your pensions, cut back on your health care and tell you how great things are. Yes, there is poverty in China, but it’s not 33%. China is estimated to have 60% middle class by around 2030. I’ve lived in the UK the same as you, but the difference between us is I’ve also lived in China and write my posts from experience, not the gullibility of mass media propaganda.

Just to jolly it up, Brown, Blair and half the bankers in the UK would have faced a firing squad in China, literally. Had to get that off my chest, for those who get their information from the government I shake my head folks they have taken you to the cleaners in the UK and you don’t even realise it..

Oddly enough I do frequent my local high street and often visit council estates.
I have not seen any of this "devastation". Perhaps a large degree of exaggeration?

Page 15 of 17 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top