Join for free
Reply
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tregonsee's Avatar
Tregonsee
Senior Member
Tregonsee is offline
Lancashire UK
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 681
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-01-2017, 01:37 PM
11

Re: I Might Buy A Soup Maker!

SWMBO had a Morphy Richards for Xmas. It works very well so far. It makes a minimum of 1300 ml which is a lot for two of us.
It seems to work best cooking from scratch. Avoid starchy sauces as they can catch.
Reply With Quote
Artangel
Chatterbox
Artangel is offline
UK
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 14,900
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-01-2017, 01:37 PM
12

Re: I Might Buy A Soup Maker!

Originally Posted by May ->
A pot which makes Your soup for You?...noo that's clever...does it peel,scrape,grate the veg' too
I'm afraid not! May. I might have to employ a maid to do that, then flick the switch!
Reply With Quote
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Julie1962 is offline
Surrey
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 42,821
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-01-2017, 01:38 PM
13

Re: I Might Buy A Soup Maker!

Originally Posted by May ->
A pot which makes Your soup for You?...noo that's clever...does it peel,scrape,grate the veg' too
That's true may you still have to prepare the veg etc.
Reply With Quote
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Julie1962 is offline
Surrey
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 42,821
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-01-2017, 01:39 PM
14

Re: I Might Buy A Soup Maker!

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
SWMBO had a Morphy Richards for Xmas. It works very well so far. It makes a minimum of 1300 ml which is a lot for two of us.
It seems to work best cooking from scratch. Avoid starchy sauces as they can catch.
The Phillips I was testing made less than 1000 ml sounds like size matters in this case.
Reply With Quote
Realist's Avatar
Realist
Chatterbox
Realist is offline
UK
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 8,922
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-01-2017, 01:48 PM
15

Re: I Might Buy A Soup Maker!

A soup maker?

lols just lols

How can you possibly make a soup with any proper flavour with an electric machine?

The "heart" of any soup, the core taste and mix of flavours, comes from the initial frying of core ingredients in a pan with oil. That includes frying onions to get the caramelisation, frying potatoes (which have already been boiled), plus other veg that's going in like leeks etc.

This is a similar mentality to people who consider buying a an electric bread making machine. A machine that will fast track some flour, water and yeast through a 1-2 hr cycle to produce a tiny loaf that is invariably polished off the same day. What makes people have this penchant for silly electric devices?

Don't you want to "connect" with the ingredients in your food? To handle them, prepare them, enjoy their aromas?

Soup is probably THE most basic and easy meal for anyone to make. Just buy yourself a jug blender if you don't already have one. It's a device than has a plethora of uses, including soups, fruit juices, healthy anti-flu remedies, tomato sauces like passatas, milk shakes, smoothies and tons more.
Reply With Quote
Artangel
Chatterbox
Artangel is offline
UK
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 14,900
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-01-2017, 02:00 PM
16

Re: I Might Buy A Soup Maker!

Originally Posted by Realist ->
A soup maker?

lols just lols

How can you possibly make a soup with any proper flavour with an electric machine?

The "heart" of any soup, the core taste and mix of flavours, comes from the initial frying of core ingredients in a pan with oil. That includes frying onions to get the caramelisation, frying potatoes (which have already been boiled), plus other veg that's going in like leeks etc.

This is a similar mentality to people who consider buying a an electric bread making machine. A machine that will fast track some flour, water and yeast through a 1-2 hr cycle to produce a tiny loaf that is invariably polished off the same day. What makes people have this penchant for silly electric devices?

Don't you want to "connect" with the ingredients in your food? To handle them, prepare them, enjoy their aromas?

Soup is probably THE most basic and easy meal for anyone to make. Just buy yourself a jug blender if you don't already have one. It's a device than has a plethora of uses, including soups, fruit juices, healthy anti-flu remedies, tomato sauces like passatas, milk shakes, smoothies and tons more.
Realist, My Panasonic bread maker takes four hours to make a loaf of bread that is absolutely delicious, lovely crust and no additives!!

I also have a Gelato- Chef ice cream maker that makes the most delicious ice cream in twenty minutes! No chemicals or additives in that either! I use the eggs from my own hens!

The soup maker l mentioned above has rave reviews and from people who would never have considered one!
I rarely get colds and flu.....Touch wood!
Reply With Quote
ruthio
Chatterbox
ruthio is offline
Southern UK
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 11,888
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-01-2017, 02:05 PM
17

Re: I Might Buy A Soup Maker!

Originally Posted by Realist ->

The "heart" of any soup, the core taste and mix of flavours, comes from the initial frying of core ingredients in a pan with oil. That includes frying onions to get the caramelisation, frying potatoes (which have already been boiled), plus other veg that's going in like leeks etc.


Don't you want to "connect" with the ingredients in your food? To handle them, prepare them, enjoy their aromas?

Soup is probably THE most basic and easy meal for anyone to make. Just buy yourself a jug blender if you don't already have one. It's a device than has a plethora of uses, including soups, fruit juices, healthy anti-flu remedies, tomato sauces like passatas, milk shakes, smoothies and tons more.
Our Delia would agree, she's my Go To book for basic things including soups.
Reply With Quote
Meg's Avatar
Meg
Supervisor
Meg is offline
Worcestershire, England
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 38,270
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-01-2017, 02:50 PM
18

Re: I Might Buy A Soup Maker!

Well there is soup (yuk) and there is soup (yum)

One is made with the freshest of ingredients most of which require 'sweated off' in a little butter (or roasting in oil in the oven in some instances to concentrate the flavour) then simmered in stock for 20 mins before liquidising/passing through a sieve/garnishing with a few steamed vegeables if required resulting in a delicious soup .

The other is made by bunging any old vegetables into a soup maker and boiling the hell out if them

I know which I prefer ...
Reply With Quote
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Julie1962 is offline
Surrey
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 42,821
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-01-2017, 03:02 PM
19

Re: I Might Buy A Soup Maker!

Ah but if you are counting calories as many of are that little bit of butter etc isn't going into the soup we don't sweat the veg etc first. I think there is a place for the machines you just have to be sure you can make what you enjoy with them.

I was trying to remember last time I sweated veg in anything other than water and can't actually remember it's so long ago.
Reply With Quote
Realist's Avatar
Realist
Chatterbox
Realist is offline
UK
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 8,922
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-01-2017, 03:56 PM
20

Re: I Might Buy A Soup Maker!

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I was trying to remember last time I sweated veg in anything other than water and can't actually remember it's so long ago.
So you've not made a great bowl of chilli? Or a lovely Bolognese to go with pasta? No pies? No soups? Not even a simple ratatouille? That's a real shame.

How does one "sweat" veg in water exactly? surely that's just boiling or blanching? What would be the point?
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.