Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2017, 04:15 PM

Thank you Mrs Beeton.

I'm fortunate to own my very own copy of Mrs Beeton's Household Management book that my late mother-in-law gave to me, and which her own mother-in-law originally passed to her. Wow, the recipes in there are something else! not that I would ever be cooking such things as hare, rabbit, dove, pigeon and hog! but some of the recipes are fabulous. I am going to try her Sole Italianne for tomorrow evening, but am going to use 2 Whiting instead as (A) Valentine's day has gone and (B) if I served up Sole on a Thursday, he who must obey would think I was trying to seduce him! perish the thought!

This book is an absolute gem though, and makes for fascinating reading. I have made some lovely meals by reading her recipes but obviously adding a modern touch to them. (some of her ingredients back then would be a heart attack on a plate).

Has anyone here ever followed one of her recipes? some of her puds are an absolute delight.

Will let you know how it goes with this one. xx
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2017, 04:19 PM

Re: Thank you Mrs Beeton.

The cookery section in mine starts at page 264-one has to manage the household you know.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2017, 04:30 PM

Could I also suggest-The Constance Spry cookery book? Another lengthy tome but also many ideas.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2017, 08:54 PM

Thanks for that OGF, I'll certainly give Constance a look.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2017, 09:49 PM

I have a Mrs Beetons Book too Shroppy.

Did you know her death was caused by complications brought on by syphilis? She was quite young when she died.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2017, 10:54 AM

One of my aunts took all her recipes from Mrs Beeton's cook book.

May I add that she was an excellent cook and all her meals that I ever had with her were tasty ,wholesome and delicious.

Her pastry was spot in, as were her cakes . She had followed the recipes to the letter but after a while she knew many of them off by heart.

Lucky you.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

16-02-2017, 01:39 PM

Crikey, I did not know that Twink! Still, she left a wonderful legacy with her brilliant and easy to understand recipes for an old codger like me to follow them

Puddleduck, you must have picked up some terrific tips over the years from your Aunt if she followed Mrs Beeton.
I only wish I could make pastry, alas, it is not to be, Jul Rol make a fortune out of me.

Well, I said I would tell you how the dish came out. The Fish dish could not be faulted. I used Whiting instead of Sole. But didn't want to risk the fish sticking to the tray pan or even the foil, so I placed lemon slices out onto the tray pan and lay the Whiting on them. It was YUM! the lemon made the fish taste really nice.

However....... I had to laugh, in the book it gave all the ingredients and tips for cooking the fish faultlessly, but when it came to the sauce that accompanied it (Sauce Italiane) it said (see sauces). Do you think I could find it???? In the end I had to quickly open a packet of Colman's Bechamel sauce, slice up some button mushrooms and had that instead. Mind you, he who must obey still thoroughly enjoyed the meal.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2017, 02:27 PM

It's a very interesting book got mine from a second hand book shop in the late seventies I think she'd gone out of fashion as it was only 5p !
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2017, 06:01 PM

Hi

Yes Twink. I did know.

That is why I always wear a Condom when I cook any of her recipes,
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

16-02-2017, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Yes Twink. I did know.

That is why I always wear a Condom when I cook any of her recipes,

Not quite the done thing you know-now to make the perfect sausage???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top