Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 01:31 PM

OK

I too regularly perhaps finish my first daily walk enjoying a libation in a lovely country pub. I walk in, identify a decent place to sit and tell the dogs to lay down and stay, then I go to the bar to order.

Regularly I receive comments from people saying " I wish my dogs would do that " or something similar. Sometimes I engage in conversation on the topic of dogs doing what they're told , and I notice one constant that is missing from the way some folk interact with their dogs. They never release their dogs from a command.

Therefore the dog has no idea how long it should sit, stay. lay down etc. Should it obey for a minute, ten minutes or an hour, so many people leave it for the dog to decide, and then end up shouting at it.

I always release my dogs from an instruction by using my release word, OK. So if I've told them to walk to heel for example they will do so until released by OK. Without such they would be left to decide for themselves, not a good idea and I would end up joining the shouters.

How do your dogs know when it is ok to exit from your instruction ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 01:36 PM

Re: OK

If I ask them to sit I'll say come on then to get them back up, crossing a road they two sit nicely one is picked up, before I take first step off kerb I say come on then and off we go.

If they sit for treats or toys I say no more and show them empty hands so they know activity has stopped.

I don't have the best behaved compared to some but they are happy and I'm happy with level of training so I'm not worried about that.

I like a dog that fits with whatever family it lives in and mind are fine for us.
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 01:49 PM

Yes I agree with you, it is amazing how dogs are clever enough to adjust to where they find themselves. Many however would be happier if we communicated better.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by BoxerBoy ->
Yes I agree with you, it is amazing how dogs are clever enough to adjust to where they find themselves. Many however would be happier if we communicated better.

I agree.

One thing I see happening on a daily basis, is when people tell their dog to 'Sit' at the kerb.
When the road is clear to cross, the owner just walks off without saying a word to dog. Poor dog is still sitting there, doing as he was told, and suddenly gets a jerk of his neck because he hasn't got up yet!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 02:41 PM

I used to say, "Come on then" to Floyd.
He got to know my body language, if I was about to get up to leave somewhere he'd be ready.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 03:07 PM

I was just thinking I don't say sit at kerbside I say wait, so they do sit but they are waiting for the off, not sitting because I've said so. I wonder if they realise a difference ?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 03:41 PM

I am envious of you dog owners, if I tell my cats to sit or stay, they look at me as though to say "No chance, we are coming where you are going"
But they do understand when I tell them off, for doing something wrong, & always come in when I shout them.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 05:31 PM

We use OK also.
They really like those two letters!
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK

19-02-2018, 06:37 PM

Generally I don't say anything at the kerb, on rare occasions I will say "stay" and then "OK" . I never ask them to sit at the kerb, don't know why, just never found it necessary. Possibly because I always use short leads.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 07:41 PM

Open hands when "no more". We donīt have to say "sit", she automatically walks at the same pace as whoever she is with, you stop, she stops. "Okay" mostly when crossing roads, very occasionally itīs "come on lady move that little black bottom" if sheīs found an interesting "wee mail" to read.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top