Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 12:47 PM

Re: I love Hostas

I leave them alone, they die right back till they cant be seen and do well
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I leave them alone, they die right back till they cant be seen and do well
thanks Missy. too late for me, I have already cut them back. Hopefully they will be ok.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
When I moved into my house (nearly 40 years ago now) the air was alive, when walking down the garden at night, with the sound of crunching snails underfoot.

They were in plague proportions largely because of a miniature bamboo (but that is another story) so I bought a couple of ducks to roam the garden; within months I was bringing home snails as a treat for them. Ducks are wonderful in the garden, they eat all the pests and they don't eat your plants.
Being a cricket fan I love the mention of Ozzy DUCKS.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 07:46 PM

I had to chuck our hosta after many years. It was killed off by the searing heat. But year after year it was heartbreaking to see the abundant beautiful leaves be devoured overnight by slugs. It was in a big pot but that did not stop them.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
pillock!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Brilliant!
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 03:49 PM

I have four Hostas which have been in the same pots for several years. All i do is wait until the leaves have died right back and are obviously dead. Then i pull off the leaves and stalks from the flowers which pull off very easily then set the pots aside somewhere to overwinter. No mulching, no feeding, nothing at all. Next spring, strong pointed shoots will appear. Never let Hostas dry out during the summer, they love damp to wet soil. You can split them as the shoots appear and replant them. They are as tough as old boots as long as they don't dry out. Beware of slugs/snails!! they can demolish hostas almost overnight.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

21-10-2018, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
I have four Hostas which have been in the same pots for several years. All i do is wait until the leaves have died right back and are obviously dead. Then i pull off the leaves and stalks from the flowers which pull off very easily the set the pots aside somewhere to overwinter. No mulching, no feeding, nothing at all. Next spring, strong pointed shoots will appear. Ne ver let Hostas dry out during the summer, they love damp to wet soil. You can split them as the shoots appear and replant them. They are as tough as old boots as long as they don't dry out. Beware of slugs/snails!! they can demolish hostas almost overnight.
Thanks EZ. I plan to divide mine next year if it survives.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

19-03-2019, 06:52 PM

No new shoots from my Hosta so far, should it be growing now or is it a bit too early?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2019, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
I have four Hostas which have been in the same pots for several years. All i do is wait until the leaves have died right back and are obviously dead. Then i pull off the leaves and stalks from the flowers which pull off very easily then set the pots aside somewhere to overwinter. No mulching, no feeding, nothing at all. Next spring, strong pointed shoots will appear. Never let Hostas dry out during the summer, they love damp to wet soil. You can split them as the shoots appear and replant them. They are as tough as old boots as long as they don't dry out. Beware of slugs/snails!! they can demolish hostas almost overnight.

That's what I do,EZ Rider,I only just pulled mine off last week,..I have about 10 hostas,they thrive in the shade,although I do have one,that I planted about 10 yrs ago,which gets the sun,early morning,through to around 12 noon,..their roots also like to be moist,as you say..and yes,those snails are a pain,I have been known to go out in the middle of the night,with a torch,picking them all off the leaves,put them in a bucket,then I put them in the field.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top