Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 11:30 AM

Do Clothes Really Maketh The Man?

Isn’t it just shallow to judge someone on the clothes they wear?

For example if you put a man in scruffy, denim, patched shorts in a room full of well dressed people, You might think, ‘Look at the state of him’!

Put the same man in a suit and he will just be a man in the crowd but probably get a better reaction.

Put the same man in a uniform, in a room and many ladies will immediately home in on him!

I am not sure if the same would apply to women and the reverse might be true!

So l ask, Do clothes maketh the man?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 11:38 AM

Re: Do Clothes Really Maketh The Man?

As long as people are comfortable and clean I don't really care what they wear. I'm a bit of a hippy so people have to take me as I am too.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 11:41 AM

Its true that first impressions are made on someone's appearance.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 11:43 AM

It's unfortunate but yes it does, particularly how others see you. When I win the jackpot on the Euromillions, I plan to nip down to the Aston Martin showroom wearing my genuinely ripped jeans and my gardening boots, just to see their reaction. I doubt they will let me in.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 12:30 PM

During the summer I was always in shorts but since the weather has gone colder I have been wearing trainer trousers and a fleeces. I admit I do feel scruffy wearing these sort of clothes but they are lovely and warm and comfortable.
I think I personally feel better and more confident when I'm dressed up.
We do tend to do instant judgement on people on what they wear and how they look which really is very wrong. Just because some people look good in what their wearing doesnt mean they are trustworthy and pleasant people. Look at our suited and booted politicians for instance.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 12:53 PM

I don't think it matters what a man is wearing, as long as the body underneath the clothing is fit too. Then I'd go chat to him.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 12:54 PM

Before we get to know someone, all we see is their physical appearance, so yes, it is inevitable that first glance can blur the picture.

Actions wil speak louder than appearance, later though.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's unfortunate but yes it does, particularly how others see you. When I win the jackpot on the Euromillions, I plan to nip down to the Aston Martin showroom wearing my genuinely ripped jeans and my gardening boots, just to see their reaction. I doubt they will let me in.
That reminds me of a time my daughter & I walked into this really 'posh' shoe shop, we were dressed in scruffy jeans etc & as we were walking around looking at the shoes the assistant was looking down his nose at us. Not one pair was under £100, but if I'd like the assistants attitude I might have bought something, I did need shoes, anyway he attitude was very condescending. So we walked out again. How that shop ever makes any money with staff with that attitude I'll never know.
I know several people who look as if they are as poor as church mice, but really they have money to burn.
Gone a bit off subject there, sorry, Artangel.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 01:24 PM

Monday's Child is quite correct.
I do feel more confident when I'm wearing nice clothes.
At first sight it says a lot about a person who has gone to some trouble to look neat and tidy, but it's not necessary all of the time. Just when it's important to make a good impression or buying an expensive motor...

If I dressed as a slob, I would expect to be treated like one...
Sometimes, saying it doesn't matter is just an excuse not to bother.....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 01:54 PM

Hi

The richest man in the village I have recently moved from is self made.

He wears supermarket clothes, gets his veg on the market and drives a second hand car.

The biggest local employer, he could not give a hoot.

This is the man who spent over £2 million on the sports club, £1,37 million on a new medical centre and gave them both to the village.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top