Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 10:14 AM

Planning Bank Holiday

Gone are the days when you could just go out and enjoy yourself. If you're not on the road early, not much point.

Major roads are gridlocked by 10.00.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 10:32 AM

Re: Planning Bank Holiday

That will only get worse too. Once upon a time a family of four or five had one car. These days four or five in a family means four or five cars outside your house. So many front gardens have been concreted and turned into parking areas which means also there's far fewer gardens to soak up rain water allowing roads to flood easier. We're all doomed I tell you, doomed! So said Spike Milligan.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 10:35 AM

I had completely forgotten there is a bank holiday this month. We have never treated them as special, apart from the one's connected with Christmas.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 10:36 AM

But you forget all the excitement of sitting there in those traffic jams, wasting precious and expensive fuel. Driving on potholed roads that damage the expensive car. Then on arrival very late at your chosen destination it's packed solid, finding a parking place is difficult. Food and drink is at a premium as that's what happens at popular places. A few hours spent in our usual Bank Holiday weather, rain and more rain and that's it. Time to return home with all the problems there were on the outward journey!

Although maybe, just maybe, all this might be different some day. That day has yet to arrive though!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 10:56 AM

Here in my seaside town its gridlocked any way it's not worth taking the car . Bus service is good . The town is packed with holidaymakers the beach full of happy people bouncing in and out of the waves . I stay in on bank holidays it's much nicer in my garden .

Any way for me each day is a bank holiday because I'm retired and feel very blessed
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Here in my seaside town its gridlocked any way it's not worth taking the car . Bus service is good . The town is packed with holidaymakers the beach full of happy people bouncing in and out of the waves . I stay in on bank holidays it's much nicer in my garden .

Any way for me each day is a bank holiday because I'm retired and feel very blessed
We do the same, most of the neighbours out so enjoy classic fm, al fresco meal. Totally relaxed, garden haven.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 11:20 AM

I simply ignore bank holidays now, avoid them in fact.

Bank holidays = traffic jams, airport strikes, train strikes or engineering works, extra traffic wardens drafted in to negate any possibility of fun and of course the traditional crap weather.

I would rather stay indoors.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 03:26 PM

Hi

Bank Holidays.

Stay in or just somewhere local, traffic is stupid

A mile and a half away is the big roundabout at the end of the motorway from the Midlands to the Welsh Coast.

Best avoided at all costs.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 03:51 PM

We never go out on Bank Holidays ..... too much congestion on the roads.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
We never go out on Bank Holidays ..... too much congestion on the roads.
Same here Mags - that's one of the joys of being retired isn't it? Being able to go out and about when we want and stay at home when we want too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top