Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 09:30 PM

Spiralisers.

Hands up all those who have one lurking in the back of a cupboard! My hand is in the air - I was guilty. I bought a small hand held version when they first came out - just to see what they did - Nemo thought it was a new cat toy and I haven't seen it since.

Then, earlier this year, my GP raised concerns that I might be pre-diabtic and advised me to reduce my carbs. Well, I love pasta and rice and cheese - and was reluctant to part with any of them. A friend suggested a Spiraliser. So, I bought another one - a proper one this time, with a goodly selection of blades. Brought it home - put it in a cupboard - and forgot about it.

Put on a bit of weight while involved with 'thing', decided to really revise my food intake - dragged the Spiraliser out of hibernation - and began to play. Made a Spag Bol with courgetti spaghetti - and it was great - have been playing with the thing ever since - trying all the different blades etc., even inventing new recipes.

Does anyone else have one? Do you like/use it?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 09:44 PM

Re: Spiralisers.

A lot of expense and faff when you can buy spiralised courgettes in supermarkets now.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
A lot of expense and faff when you can buy spiralised courgettes in supermarkets now.
I never buy food (apart from tinned stuff) in supermarkets, Judd, loathe the places!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

21-08-2019, 07:15 AM

Judd - had to go to Asda yesterday - while there I had a look at their pre-packed Courgetti.

Sells at £1:60p per bag
Washed in chlorine
Contains enough for 2 servings
Short 'shelf life'
States 'packed in UK' but does not give Country of Origin.

My courgetti -
bought 6 courgettes from the farm shop for £1:50p
That is enough for 6 servings.
Fresh courgettes keep well in the 'fridge.
Grown on a farm less than five miles away.
Takes less than 2 mins to spiralise.

No contest!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 10:41 AM

Yes we have one I use it about once a week to make spaghetti pasta with it, also kids seem to prefer spiralized carrots to grated ones so we do that too.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
My courgetti -
bought 6 courgettes from the farm shop for £1:50p
That is enough for 6 servings.
Fresh courgettes keep well in the 'fridge.
Grown on a farm less than five miles away.
Takes less than 2 mins to spiralise.

No contest!!
I agree. Go you. Buy British, buy local, buy fresh.

I'd skip the spiralising nonsense though Just a gimmick
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 01:19 PM

Without a spiralizer how are we going to cut them into spaghetti sized pieces ? would take an age and I somehow doubt it would be as even. You seem to have a thing against gadgets and miss the point some of them make life easier.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 02:01 PM

Hi

Yes I have one.

I use it every week, great for making stir frys.

The Pretendies and their friends love it when they are here.

I do not buy them crisps, they make their own, potato,carrot, golden beetroot, courgette etc.

Spiralise it and then into the Hot Air Fryer.

Perfectly safe for littliies, some of the combinations are weird, but they enjoy it.

I also have an Ice Cream maker, a very simple thing.

They make the weirdest Ice Creams, but they love them.

I also have a combined barbie and pizza oven.

I buy the thin pizza bases, they put their own toppings on them, really strange mixtures.

Garlic sausage and Smarties?

One of the Mums is always here when they use the oven or Barbie to supervise things.

Being Polish, the littlies have to clean up after.

Imagine six littiles with washing up liquid, water and mops.

Great fun, especially when Mum decides they are old enough to use the Steam Cleaner.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top