Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 12:05 PM

Has the internet made me lazy?

Although I transferred all of my running logs to a computer around the late nineties, it wasn't until I retired in 2010 that I started visiting facebook, twitter and over fifties forums.
I was sixty now and although I still kept up with my hobby of running, following a heart attack I realised that my best running was behind me so it's been an easy choice to opt for the more sedentary lifestyle that being a member of an over fifties forum requires.

Long gone are the days of facebook and twitter (although I still have a twitter account) far too time consuming, even for a retiree. But I do like to spend time on this forum and I don't begrudge a single minute.....Good friends and good topics to discuss....

But I ask myself.....had the internet been around in my younger day, would I have had the adventures and done half the things that I've done thus far in my life? Or would I have spent more time doing what I do now?
So what about our young people?
Would the distraction that TV, computers and 24/7 music have had an effect on some of our greatest scientists and inventors....And more to the point; what effect will it have on the younger generations? Will they ever sit on their own in the silence of a laboratory solving the problems of the world or human race? Or will the distractions of the 21st century be too much for them to ignore and prevent rational thinking?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 12:09 PM

Re: Has the internet made me lazy?

Another interesting question, yes I think it has made life more sedentary, many of us log on and it's only several hours later we realise how long we have been on the internet or playing games. I am very aware I do limit child's access not because I am worried about her safety on line but I want her to have a life away from the computer too.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 12:18 PM

I am sure it’s made my bottom bigger!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 12:30 PM

And I'm sure it's an age thing too! Sometimes when I have been sitting here with my laptop, it can be two hours before I stand up, and then my knees click from sitting too long!

The other day when it was lovely and sunny, instead of joining he who must obey out on the deck with a nice cold drink and doing the crossword as we usually do, here I preferred to be, tapping away on the keyboard instead of getting a good dose of that lovely vitimin D while I am able to.
It was two and a half hours before I realised how long I had been on here.

The time seems to go so quicikly once on here.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 02:15 PM

Not me. In fact I am busier with things in the real world now than I have been since I retired. This is the only social media site I am on. My wife is on facebook but not me. I use the internet as a tool to get information on how to make things, buy things etc. But I still love reading books and I would never buy a kindle or read books on line. Not the same. I have never been into computer games apart from chess and GO. So it hasn't made me lazy.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 02:23 PM

Don't know about making me lazy but it's made me realise I have an addictive nature! The times I ve told myself i.m gonna stay off OFF and Facebook the bliddy addiction kicks in
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 02:35 PM

My husband and I would have be most unpopular with our children if the Internet had been available when they were kids. Their internet access would have been limited so as not to detract from their academic studies and other more beneficial activities.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Not me. In fact I am busier with things in the real world now than I have been since I retired. This is the only social media site I am on. My wife is on facebook but not me. I use the internet as a tool to get information on how to make things, buy things etc. But I still love reading books and I would never buy a kindle or read books on line. Not the same. I have never been into computer games apart from chess and GO. So it hasn't made me lazy.
You are quite correct Keezoy, its not the same, reading a real
book, and reading a kindle book, but, l am presently in the
depths of THE COMPLETE WORKS OF RUDYARD KIPLING
on my kindle, which turned out to be over 100hrs of reading
for zero cost! and included all his short stories and lesser
known works
I can say l have never had such a concentrated dose of
sheer reading pleasure in my life, and l have always been
an avid reader!
So l have swallowed my prejudices and dived into kindle!
No regrets so far!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 02:48 PM

Sorry Keezoy, l forgot to sign my last post to you!!!

Regards Donkeyman!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 02:51 PM

I hate to think what I would have got up to if the internet was around when I was a teenager but I do think it would have made me lazier, I mean, I'm lazy enough as it is.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top