Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2020, 09:49 AM

Aren't MPs already paid enough?

"MPs offered £10,000 for coronavirus office costs"

"MPs can claim £10,000 for additional office costs incurred as a result of the coronavirus, Parliament's expenses authority has said.

The money can be used to buy additional equipment such as laptops and printers for staff having to work from home.

This comes on top of the £26,000 MPs can claim to cover office costs."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52231592

Tell that to someone who is 'furloughed' and now has no choice but to live on 80% of their usual salary.

I know from personal experience it doesn't cost that amount to set up a home office, I've done it as a self-employed person. Computers, printers, mobile phones and a provider of internet services do not cost that amount.

What are your comments on this?

It seems that many people have expressed their views of being very much against this:

"135,000 sign petition demanding MPs’ £10,000 work-from-home fund is scrapped"

"More than 130,000 people have signed a petition calling for MPs to be stripped of their £10,000 work-from-home allowance.

MPs have been offered an additional £10,000 each by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa) – the body that audits expenses of those in the Commons – to pay for increased costs as they and their staff move to working from home during the Covid-19 lockdown."

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-04-12/...d-is-scrapped/
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2020, 09:59 AM

Re: Aren't MPs already paid enough?

Our MP says he can meet the increase in expenses through his existing budget so won't need to claim any extra.

This ten grand is for extra expenditure if needed apparently and isn't for the MPs just to trouser as extra pay, although I agree undoubtedly some will try..
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2020, 10:04 AM

If MPs are to get extra money for 'staying at home costs' then it should apply to anyone working from home.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2020, 12:03 PM

It's not a grant, it's an additional sum that additional expenses can be claimed from.

Working from home for an MP will mean extra costs including employing temps working from their homes. Then there'll be courier service for a variety of things and probably the cost of a phone answering service and they CERTAINLY don't come cheap.

10 grand will soon be used up.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2020, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Working from home for an MP will mean extra costs including employing temps working from their homes. Then there'll be courier service for a variety of things and probably the cost of a phone answering service and they CERTAINLY don't come cheap..
Why? These things are surely in place anyway.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2020, 12:18 PM

I doubt MPs are doing much these days what with everyone staying at home. In fact, I'm not sure they do that much anyway.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2020, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Why? These things are surely in place anyway.
Not for working from home.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2020, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Not for working from home.
I sometimes worked from home, still do. It saved me money.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

12-04-2020, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I sometimes worked from home, still do. It saved me money.
Of course it does. saves on travel, fuel costs and even lunch costs.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2020, 04:24 PM

One would have thought that constituency office staff and assistants would already have been supplied with medium to high-end laptops, etc by the MP they are working for, without the need to go splashing £10k around.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top