Join for free
Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 12:18 PM

Re: Molly Vickers.....

Originally Posted by PinkSapphire ->
Hi everyone, I'm a total newb and I'm sure there's somewhere I should introduce myself, but I stumbled on this by accident trying to track down what the person on page one was, the full poem. I think I seem to have more of it than most of you do still in my head, though I have to confess to not having read every post of seven pages. I too read it at school in a very old, old poetry anthology, no longer available, heaven knows I've tried to track it down, called Voices, it was full of poems by all kinds of people from anonymous things like that to poetic greats, and not all humorous by any means. It's called, as far as I recall "Child's Bouncing Song" and it's by no means complete, but I think I have a good bit. It would never be taught now, you'll see why. No bad language or anything, just so you know. "Molly Vickers wets her knickers, Georgie's father's big and black. Cream on Sunday, Milk on Monday, I'm the cock of all the back. Tell me who's a bigger boozer? Mr Baker beats them all! From his lorry watch him hurry! Touch the ground and touch the wall. Who's the gentry down our entry? Mrs Smith's got two teevees! What if her coat is a fur coat? All her kids are full of fleas. High and low and two and fro and down the street and up the hill. Mrs Cuthbert's husband snuffed it, left her nothing in his will. Skipping hopping, I'm off shopping. Tuesday night it's pie for tea. Please to take this ball and make this song a bouncing song for me." Sincerely hope it's ok for me to put this incomplete piece here. See you around the place. ☺
Thanks pink sapphire. As sweetie pie says, get yourself over to introductions.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 04:54 PM

One, two, three,
Mother caught a flea,
Put it in the teapot and made a cup of tea.
The flea jumped out!
Mother gave a shout!
Down came Father with his shirt hanging out!
(Skipping rhyme)

I'm not the pheasant plucker,
I'm the pheasant plucker's son.
I'm only plucking pheasants t'il the pheasant plucker comes.

We used to try to say that really fast without getting muddled

The thunder roared,
The lightening flashed
And all the World was shaken.
The little pig curled up his tail
And ran to save his bacon!

She stood on the bridge at midnight,
The air was all a quiver,
She gave a cough,
Her leg dropped off and floated down the river!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
One, two, three,
Mother caught a flea,
Put it in the teapot and made a cup of tea.
The flea jumped out!
Mother gave a shout!
Down came Father with his shirt hanging out!
(Skipping rhyme)

I'm not the pheasant plucker,
I'm the pheasant plucker's son.
I'm only plucking pheasants t'il the pheasant plucker comes.

We used to try to say that really fast without getting muddled

The thunder roared,
The lightening flashed
And all the World was shaken.
The little pig curled up his tail
And ran to save his bacon!

She stood on the bridge at midnight,
The air was all a quiver,
She gave a cough,
Her leg dropped off and floated down the river!

This is not the version I was taught.

"She stood on the bridge at midnight,
throwing snowballs at the moon,
She said Jack I've never had it
......... soon.
PinkSapphire
New Member!
Caerphilly UK
PinkSapphire is female 

02-09-2018, 02:21 AM

Being a "Taffy" myself, I'm actually quite glad you don't hear things like that anymore. It's ok, no offence taken, but it really gets to me the way in so many books, Welsh people are thieves, or completely ignorant, or if they're miners if they're not the former two they're atheist unionist agitators, and usually meet sticky ends or have to emigrate. I've read some more posts on here since the middle of last night, and I love all the funny rhymes, a lot of which I knew, some of which I didn't.
PinkSapphire
New Member!
Caerphilly UK
PinkSapphire is female 

02-09-2018, 02:24 AM

Oh I love that one! I knew the beginning of the No more latin, only we sang "No more English" but you have loads more interesting verses here which I love! And my school, my junior one at least, the food was just like that! Yukk!
PinkSapphire
New Member!
Caerphilly UK
PinkSapphire is female 

02-09-2018, 02:29 AM

Hi, Hanfonius, how very kind of you to take so much trouble. I really really need to do my intro, I have said this on my profile, but I am totally blind, so buying this book from Australia isn't going to help me, I buy a lot of Ebooks, but older, obscure books like these aren't available in Ebook form, though you'd be surprised what is. I'd probably have more success trying to track this in braille. I bet it's around in a dusty library somewhere, that's how I originally read it, in braille. I shall have to make enquiries. Sorry to have put you to trouble for nothing, and thank you again. I like your signature. I always like to smile a lot.
PinkSapphire
New Member!
Caerphilly UK
PinkSapphire is female 

02-09-2018, 02:32 AM

Oh Solo, do I ever remember that one! We used to hear a school's program called "Poetry Corner" and they taught us that one on there. Oh, and this one: "A thousand hairy savages, sitting down to lunch! Gobble gobble, glup glup, munch, munch, munch!" Then they played this incredible multi tracked eating sound which I've never forgotten!
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 02:44 AM

Welcome to over 50 forum PinkSapphire

Blue
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 03:13 AM

Got clipped over the head for this and told to shut my mouth back in the 50s by my Grandfather because it was disgusting.

" I am a bachelor and I live with my son, and we work at the weavers trade, and the only only thing I ever did wrong was to woe a fair young maid"

Edit just googled it.

When I was a bachelor, I liv'd all alone
I worked at the weaver's trade
And the only, only thing that I ever did wrong
Was to woo a fair young maid.
I wooed her in the wintertime
And in the summer, too
And the only, only thing that I did that was wrong
Was to keep her from the foggy, foggy dew.

One night she came to my bedside
When I was fast asleep.
She laid her head upon my bed
And she began to weep.
She sighed, she cried, she damn near died
She said what shall I do?
So I hauled her into bed and covered up her head
Just to keep her from the foggy foggy dew.

So, I am a bachelor, I live with my son
And we work at the weaver's trade.
And every single time that I look into his eyes
He reminds me of that fair young maid.
He reminds me of the wintertime
And of the summer, too,
And of the many, many times that I held her in my arms
Just to keep her from the foggy, foggy, dew.[5]

A further verse, generally used as the penultimate one, is:

Twas in the first part of the night
That we did sport and play
And in the second part of the night
She in my arms did lie
When morning came, she said to me
Oh sir, I am undone.
Oh hold your row, you silly young gal
The foggy dew is gone.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 03:29 AM

Seems the Irish tried to nick it as an IRA song,,,BUT

The song is a lamentful ballad of a lover. It was published on a broadside around 1815, though there are very many versions: Cecil Sharp collected eight versions.[2] Burl Ives, who popularized the song in the United States in the 1940s, claimed that a version dated to colonial America, and he was once jailed in Mona, Utah, for singing it in public, when authorities deemed it a bawdy song.[3] BBC Radio likewise restricted broadcast of the song to programmes covering folk tunes or the works of Benjamin Britten.[4] The tune is a late 18th or early 19th century revision of "When I First Came to Court",

Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top