Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2012, 01:26 AM

Network Backup and DNLA Anybody?

I am feeling a bit smug today having set up an NAS (Network-attached storage) on my home network. It was surprisingly cheap even with two 2Gb HDDs.

At the moment I am using batch files (remember DOS?) to backup my files to the RAID (redundant array of independent disks) system. It took all night to make the first back up from my main computer but of course in future it will only have to backup changes. The nice thing is that all my laptops can use the same system.

Do you have any particular backup system using Windows based software? Any recommendations? Really only interested in Freeware - lets face it Windows has a backup system built in.

One disappointment. The device has a DNLA (Digital Living Network Alliance) server which works fine BUT my Sony Bravia TVs won't work with Divx avi files they only appear to work with MPEG2 files from a DNLA server - so annoying. The only work round is to connect a device line a WDTVLive device to each TV (currently I only have one )

Anyway if you use a NAS how do you get on with it? What backup software do you use?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2012, 05:52 AM

Re: Network Backup and DNLA Anybody?

Do you mind repeating that in English Bruce ?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2012, 08:46 AM

Sorry Bruce you've lost me...I can SIO (switch it on) and I can WSW (write some words), but unfortunately that's my LOT (lot)....
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2012, 08:02 PM

I know words like pmsl and swalk. I do have a back up Bruce but what is
it I dont know. It copies everything on your PC and if a virus wiped everything out I could download off the thing we paid £50 for as it doesnt pick up virus. End of story I am afraid. Not technical.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2012, 09:16 PM

I don't use a NAS, but I use a External HD and run automatic backup with Windows 7. It does a very good job and not found the need for other software
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2012, 10:20 AM

I bought 2 x 1TB external HDs yesterday, don't know what they are or what they do and they're not for me but people they are for are thrilled and Grandson wants one as well. Got them off Ebay, well a friend did cos I don't know what to do.I just actually paid for them.I'm impressed I manage to write this.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2012, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by hazel ->
I bought 2 x 1TB external HDs yesterday, don't know what they are or what they do and they're not for me but people they are for are thrilled and Grandson wants one as well. Got them off Ebay, well a friend did cos I don't know what to do.I just actually paid for them.I'm impressed I manage to write this.
They are just widgets you can put computer stuff on. Films, programs, pictures...whatever. A 1TB is a quite large drive which itself can store 100,000's pictures, possibly more.

You can use them to backup your computer, so if your PC dies, you can put everything back as it was and not lose anything.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2012, 07:30 PM

Grandson wants one to put films and videos onto
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2012, 07:40 PM

Windows used to store on our external hard drive but we now use Norton 360.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top