Join for free
Reply
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
JBR's Avatar
JBR
Chatterbox
JBR is offline
Cheshire, UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 23,310
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-07-2019, 12:32 PM
71

Re: Everything New in Windows 10ís May 2019 Update

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Ooh thanks JBR. I shall have a read of that. Did you attempt to change you fan speed and did it work.
No, I haven't tried that.
I just look at it occasionally to see how the temperatures are changing. At present, all seems to be fine so no need to try to change anything.
Reply With Quote
JBR's Avatar
JBR
Chatterbox
JBR is offline
Cheshire, UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 23,310
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-07-2019, 12:39 PM
72

Re: Everything New in Windows 10ís May 2019 Update

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Currently on 86 deg so will be logging off pretty soon.
Interesting.

I have 4 cores and all of them seem to be steady at around 45 degrees. When I opened Photoshop just now, they peaked very briefly to about 65 degrees, then back to normal. I didn't do anything in Photoshop.

Obviously, when certain power-hungry programmes are started up and used, the temperatures rise.

Which programmes are you using when yours go so high?
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is online now
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 33,473
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-07-2019, 02:58 PM
73

Re: Everything New in Windows 10ís May 2019 Update

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Interesting.

I have 4 cores and all of them seem to be steady at around 45 degrees. When I opened Photoshop just now, they peaked very briefly to about 65 degrees, then back to normal. I didn't do anything in Photoshop.

Obviously, when certain power-hungry programmes are started up and used, the temperatures rise.

Which programmes are you using when yours go so high?
Yes, I am currently creating a photobook on Photobox and that seems to be when it get hottest - also with Gimp.
Reply With Quote
mart's Avatar
mart
Senior Member
mart is online now
South of England
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,937
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-07-2019, 04:17 PM
74

Re: Everything New in Windows 10ís May 2019 Update

Room temperature might be a factor. Maybe the problem wouldn't occur at a different time of year when temperatures are some degrees lower. The laptop should still cope with cooling but it might struggle to dissipate heat if room temperature is high.

Just a suggestion but try elevating the laptop a bit by putting something under the back or front edge to give more room underneath for air circulation.

There are laptop stands available that can help with overheating.
Reply With Quote
Omah's Avatar
Omah
Senior Member
Omah is offline
Lancaster, UK
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 4,717
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-07-2019, 04:32 PM
75

Re: Everything New in Windows 10ís May 2019 Update

Originally Posted by mart ->
Just a suggestion but try elevating the laptop a bit by putting something under the back or front edge to give more room underneath for air circulation.

There are laptop stands available that can help with overheating.
Good idea .....

I used a couple of rubber doorstops:



and then, if required, boost the airflow underneath with a USB fan:



..... not very technical but quite effective .....
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is online now
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 33,473
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-07-2019, 07:32 PM
76

Re: Everything New in Windows 10ís May 2019 Update

Originally Posted by mart ->
Room temperature might be a factor. Maybe the problem wouldn't occur at a different time of year when temperatures are some degrees lower. The laptop should still cope with cooling but it might struggle to dissipate heat if room temperature is high.

Just a suggestion but try elevating the laptop a bit by putting something under the back or front edge to give more room underneath for air circulation.

There are laptop stands available that can help with overheating.
Originally Posted by Omah ->
Good idea .....

I used a couple of rubber doorstops:



and then, if required, boost the airflow underneath with a USB fan:



..... not very technical but quite effective .....
Thanks I will try that. It's burning my highs at the moment because I am wearing shorts.
Reply With Quote
JBR's Avatar
JBR
Chatterbox
JBR is offline
Cheshire, UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 23,310
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-07-2019, 09:42 PM
77

Re: Everything New in Windows 10ís May 2019 Update

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Thanks I will try that. It's burning my highs at the moment because I am wearing shorts.
You could wear long pants.

Or maybe a pinny.
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is online now
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 33,473
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
10-07-2019, 08:06 AM
78

Re: Everything New in Windows 10ís May 2019 Update

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You could wear long pants.

Or maybe a pinny.
That's similar to what I have been viewing online.
Reply With Quote
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce
Chatterbox
Bruce is offline
Wollongong, Australia
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,307
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
10-07-2019, 02:08 PM
79

Re: Everything New in Windows 10ís May 2019 Update

I have come across some things in 1809 and 1903 that I hadn't noticed before.

Short cuts cannot be created by dragged using the right button. I haven't created a shortcut for ages so hadn't come across it lately

A problem in 1903 is that a shortcut which called a batch file that worked in 1809 doesn't work in 1903. CMD complains that you cannot use UNC paths as the current path. I have over come this problem by editing the short cut from "\\Lenovo-PC\..." to "C:\..." but I wonder if the upgrade changed C:\ to the network (UNC) name? Don't know.

Not a major problem just irritating.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.