Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 01:10 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Good old Basil much more down to earth than that simpering squeeky Sooty

My generation were completely fooled by Muffin the Mule. We believed in anything in those days even a talking horse and it didn't matter who was pulling the strings ,

Nowt changes with tv does it
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 01:18 PM

The simple ideas are often the best. Back in 1955 when the film “Davy Crockett” was being show here Davy Crockett hats were all the rage with the kids, and just like the Yo-Yo everyone had to have one, old fur coats were torn apart to make them up but there was a problem getting the perfectly round piece of fur that hung down the back of the hat.
All of a sudden there were scores of Manx cats creeping around the city.

Boom Boomer without a doubt Spitty, definitely unique and a fine specimen to boot.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 03:45 PM

What an attractive laugh that Lady has reading the Wonky Donkey story, very natural too, I enjoyed it, wouldn’t mind having a few pints in her company. The poor kid is mortified looking.
There’s a thought for yeh now Solo, write a Wonky Donkey type childrens book and you’ll be on the pigs back in no time, or should that be the Donkey’s back.
There were a couple of songs using that formula back in the 50’s/60’s, very successful with the children and some adults too, Burl Ives and the old lady who swallowed a fly, and Davey Bold’ “There's A Hole In The Bottom Of The Lake” are two that spring to mind.

Yes indeed we were easily fooled in those days, we’re still being fooled, it’s just that the names have been changed to protect the guilty.
I have noticed lately that in a lot of articles I read and on TV/Radio media that the ‘poor’ are seldom if ever mentioned anymore, they are now referred to as ‘The less well off’, how nice, less well off than who I wonder.
Hats off to the whizz kid who thought that one up for the governing powers, I’m sure he/she got a huge bonus for smashing the old adage that the poor will always be with us, not anymore they ain’t, we have ways of getting rid of them…just give them a new title and hey presto they’re gone.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 10:05 PM

Yep, and it's up to the henchman, on the drawbridge to keep the poorest of the poorest out, without any formal training.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 10:06 PM

How the heck can he identify the Paper Rich??
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2019, 10:36 AM

This sneaky name changing fools no body whether they call it poor or financially challenged cos if you have to dip your bread in next doors gravy you are poor and the only challenge there is , is getting invited in to be able to dip your bread in their gravy. (Don't you moneyed folk scratch your head trying to understand that...I know what it means and that's all that matters).

But what those whizz kids and henchman don't realise that there is even status among those poor. There is poor, poor poor and really really poor...then there is 'got absolutely nowt' who are past caring if the drawbridge is up or down..

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

12-07-2019, 11:30 AM

then there is 'got absolutely nowt' who are past caring if the drawbridge is up or down..

Then, the only thing left to do is to Sh1t in the Moat.
solo
UK

12-07-2019, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
then there is 'got absolutely nowt' who are past caring if the drawbridge is up or down..

Then, the only thing left to do is to Sh1t in the Moat.

and that is how you identify the Paper Rich as those with absolutely nowt have nowt to wipe their a***s with
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

12-07-2019, 09:58 PM

Great sketch that Solo.

Spitfire,"How the heck can he identify the Paper Rich??"

It used to be by the way they dressed, but now they have decided to dress down, probably to avoid too much attention from charities, the revenue commissioners, and the begrudgers.
Why only last week I saw Bono wearing a pair of dirty jeans, an ‘I’m with Stupid’ tee shirt, and a torn cap cycling up Dalkey Hill, the bike was a bit rusty and it squeaked as he peddled home to his Dalkey mansion., you would give him a few shillings if he held out his cap.
Some say you would need a spanner to get a 50 pence piece out of some of these billionaires hands, but then again some say the devil is dead and buried in Killarney, some can say many things.
Still I wouldn’t begrudge anyone who has it, I’m quite happy to be one of the “less well off’s”, sounds much better than “a poor unfortunate bastard”

This is a bit technical so I kept it out of your ‘Memories’ thread so as not to go off topic Spitty.
I do get a warm glow within when I think back, mostly because I only remember the good times, I got the App. and the applicator from the Apple store and I have successfully deleted all the bad bits from the past, shaped like a discreet hearing aid you set it and insert it into the ear for about five minutes, all the bad memories come out the other ear in the form of a long string of wax, but there is no pain, it freed up 500 gigabytes of me brain in no time, before the app the old way to do SISA ( self inflicted selective amnesia) was to visit the Zoo, bite a Giga (a baby Giraffe I believe) and RAM ones forehead against the steel bars of the tigers cage, awkward and painful I know but it usually did the trick.
My brain it’s almost empty now, but then it always was according to the wife.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

12-07-2019, 10:54 PM

Yep thinking sucks, what about acting.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top