Join for free
Reply
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Primus1's Avatar
Primus1
Senior Member
Primus1 is offline
York
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,874
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-07-2019, 09:27 PM
21

Re: An interesting item about electric vehicles

There are companies trialling wireless charging,
Reply With Quote
Donkeyman
Senior Member
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,238
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-07-2019, 10:08 PM
22

Re: An interesting item about electric vehicles

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
There is also multi-car ownership. Will it mean properties having multiple charging points outside their property? What about those who live in properties where they have to park on the road outside their house (on street parking). You cannot have charging points sticking out the ground every few meters, it will be a safety hazard.

How is it going to work on service stations. As it is at the moment, you fill up the car with petrol or diesel, only takes a few seconds, then off you go and another driver takes your spot so they can fill up. But how is this going to work with electric cars because it takes hours for them to charge, even a 'quick' charge can take up to an hour, so does this mean service stations will fill up quickly due to people needing to charge their car up and others having to waiting patiently in a que for a charging point to become available.

Also, this thing about the national grid not coping and the powers that be saying car owners will have to stager the charging times so as not to put a strain on the network. Just how stupid do these bosses need to be because that is exactly what will happen, the general public will get home from work and there will be a sudden strain on the network from between the hours of 6pm-7pm when they all put their cars on to charge. Then BANG!!!! all the power goes out because it blew something at the power station.

It's all well and good pushing for electric cars but it is the charging infrastructure that is going to be the major problem and i just cannot see it working
Why cant the vehicle have the charging system built into
it when it is built, so every ev has its own charger , then all
that is required to recharge is just access to a 3 pin socket?
So every lamp,post could in theory accomodate up to six
3pin outlets? And bollards etc could also do the same?
I know this will put the price of EVs up, but at least the
person getting advantage from using the system, pays for it!
and not the bfiscus or taxpayer?
There may well be reasons against using a system such as this
but imo all of these can be resolved by further development
of smaller charging units?

Regards Donkeyman!
Reply With Quote
Donkeyman
Senior Member
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,238
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-07-2019, 10:20 PM
23

Re: An interesting item about electric vehicles

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Any developments of HGVs ?
Or is the distribution network not considered?
A good question Tregonsee, it should be possible to make
a HGV electric easily, as there is plenty of room available
under the loadbed for battery storage etc?
So in cities it would make sense to do deliveries etc by EVs
and should cut emissions significantly?

Regards Donkeyman!
Reply With Quote
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce
Chatterbox
Bruce is offline
Wollongong, Australia
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,887
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
12-07-2019, 05:37 AM
24

Re: An interesting item about electric vehicles

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
We limit our driving now for necessary use only, and will not consider an electric car because of these problems.

Easy! Just buy a house with a charging point already installed.

https://www.realestate.com.au/proper...AO7LKO_oViHLY0

Reply With Quote
Cinderella's Avatar
Cinderella
Senior Member
Cinderella is offline
East Anglia, UK
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,771
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-07-2019, 12:24 PM
25

Re: An interesting item about electric vehicles

A very desirable property for a young family, not sure if they are building houses like that in UK.

Looks as if UK are playing catch up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44759150
Reply With Quote
Baz46's Avatar
Baz46
Senior Member
Baz46 is offline
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 849
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-07-2019, 12:41 PM
26

Re: An interesting item about electric vehicles

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
A very desirable property for a young family, not sure if they are building houses like that in UK.

Looks as if UK are playing catch up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44759150
It does seem as it we are playing catch-up in a lot of ways in the UK from what I see.

That looks rather a nice, individually designed property, possibly with a price to match here in the UK, depending very much on where it was situated of course.

That price of $800,000 850,000 converts to 446,771.61 474,694.83 GDP.

Charging for electric vehicles is obviously a definite advantage, also one that would be found in very few houses in the UK I am guessing.

Personally I know of only one local supermarket that has charging points for electric vehicles, not that I have visited all of them in this area though.
Reply With Quote
Baz46's Avatar
Baz46
Senior Member
Baz46 is offline
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 849
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-07-2019, 09:03 PM
27

Re: An interesting item about electric vehicles

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Snip

That price of $800,000 850,000 converts to 446,771.61 474,694.83 GDP.

Snip
Just to correct the error above in bold as I cannot edit it, left it too late. It should read:

That price of $800,000 $850,000 converts to 446,771.61 474,694.83 GDP.

I am sure most would realise what that error should have been, I do like things to be correct.

Call me pedantic if you like, I don't mind as that's most probably true.
Reply With Quote
Ray Cathode's Avatar
Ray Cathode
Senior Member
Ray Cathode is offline
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,114
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-07-2019, 09:14 PM
28

Re: An interesting item about electric vehicles

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Any developments of HGVs ?
Or is the distribution network not considered?

Tesla are developing an HGV


https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...shed-back-2020
Reply With Quote
Ray Cathode's Avatar
Ray Cathode
Senior Member
Ray Cathode is offline
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,114
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-07-2019, 09:19 PM
29

Re: An interesting item about electric vehicles

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
There is also multi-car ownership. Will it mean properties having multiple charging points outside their property? What about those who live in properties where they have to park on the road outside their house (on street parking). You cannot have charging points sticking out the ground every few meters, it will be a safety hazard.

How is it going to work on service stations. As it is at the moment, you fill up the car with petrol or diesel, only takes a few seconds, then off you go and another driver takes your spot so they can fill up. But how is this going to work with electric cars because it takes hours for them to charge, even a 'quick' charge can take up to an hour, so does this mean service stations will fill up quickly due to people needing to charge their car up and others having to waiting patiently in a que for a charging point to become available.

Also, this thing about the national grid not coping and the powers that be saying car owners will have to stager the charging times so as not to put a strain on the network. Just how stupid do these bosses need to be because that is exactly what will happen, the general public will get home from work and there will be a sudden strain on the network from between the hours of 6pm-7pm when they all put their cars on to charge. Then BANG!!!! all the power goes out because it blew something at the power station.

It's all well and good pushing for electric cars but it is the charging infrastructure that is going to be the major problem and i just cannot see it working

When the supercapacitors are fully developed it will be possible to fully charge a car in less time than it takes to fill a petrol tank.
Reply With Quote
Besoeker's Avatar
Besoeker
Senior Member
Besoeker is offline
Doncaster, UK
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 3,626
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-07-2019, 09:24 PM
30

Re: An interesting item about electric vehicles

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
When the supercapacitors are fully developed it will be possible to fully charge a car in less time than it takes to fill a petrol tank.
Assuming you have the capacity to do so.
Most of us do not,.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.