Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 09:07 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Yes we really are insignificant little pests growing on the back of beautiful mother Earth, irritating her tender skin, one of these days she’ll have a good scratch and a shake, then we’ll all be gone.
I’m not too fond of clouds lately, we’ve had more than our fair share of the dark fluffy buggers this May, every morning I woke up and looked out the window there they were again, but today was a decent day, a bit warmer and not as many clouds, I was able to get a good part of the high hedging cut between the short heavy showers.
I do love looking into the flames of a good call fire, very relaxing indeed, don’t care much for crumpet though, I find a nice glass of port and a slim cigar is more satisfying.

I think the crumpet Spitty is thinking about is more likely to singe in front of the fire.

Personally I prefer the wife’s scones (I pronounce that scones as rhymes with stones, don’t know about you) to crumpets any day. crumpet is far too dry for my delicate palette, even Kerrygold butter can’t improve a chalkie crumpet, I use lashings of butter on my hot scones.
I’m reminded of that old joke about the actress Googie Withers and one of her female admirers, she wrote to the star of film asking for tips because she wanted to look like her idol, Googie (which means ‘Little Pigeon’ in Pakistan where she was born) wrote back and told her to take off all her clothes and stand in front of the fire, the fan wrote back asking how long was she to stand there, then a short answer arrived in the post “Till you’re Googie Withers”
Just for the sake of equality the same thing goes if you’re a fan of that great cricketer Dickie Burns.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 10:10 PM

I remember a really bad night years ago, back in the 70s, Dickie Burns and Carpet Burns, a double Whammy.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 09:17 AM

LOL What are you two like. Mention crumpet and the toasting fork memories pop up.

Still got our old brass toasting forks somewhere. Always hung by the fire and I bet they could tell a tale or two before I came along.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 09:22 AM

I have a not so insignificant little pest floating around at the moment. Talk about disturb your peace and insanity. Whilst soaking in the bath last night, Out of the corner of my eye something caught my attention..not sure what ...but something gliding by. Ghostly and ....deadly. And yes there it is again so not in my imagination.

I waited with one eye shut just to fool it and sure enough a tiny ethereal floating assassin flew straight at me..daring me to swipe at it. I knew full well that the slightest breeze of a killers hand would just send it spinning back out of reach..where it would just grin ...and wait.

Google tells me it's a clothes moths so it is war and I mean open war. Nobody or nothing disturbs my Badedas bath time.

First plan. Leave the bath and sink full of water, in the hopes it will be tempted to take a plunge. I will not be providing a life jacket or soap dish as a life raft so hopefully it will drown. I shall then give the neccessary eulogy something like

Nasty clothes moth crunch and munch
Eating woollies for it's lunch
I dunked this moth in the sink
And let it drown in the drink. .

I wait......
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 02:21 PM

Getting rid of the annual crop of winged invaders is a problem Solo, they can thwart your every move, i’ve tried everything in the shed to keep them out, electric cage thingy that’s supposed to lure them to their deaths, bullshite! they just fly around it to warm themselves up when it gets a bit chilly, laughing at you they are, they’re like little kids who love to be chased around.
Then I tries the supposedly dreaded “Fly and Wasp Killer”, sure you might as well be spraying brandy at them, all it did was make then tipsy, then they’d fly outside to sober up and come back angry with a fierce hangover on them, useless stuff.
However I was at my wits end until i decided to let nature work for me in the shape of my friendly shed spiders, I left them to it and sure enough there’s not a fly nor wasp will enter that shed now, even with the door and windows wide open on a very warm day. Only problem there is the bloody cobwebs are all over the place, why only the other day while working at the bench one spider actually tried to cobweb me from the nose to the bench.
Hope that helps.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

21-05-2019, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
Not that this counts toward absolutely anything-but it's true,so Jem'll like it;

I was delivering a load of horse fodder to Highgrove House.
Charles was on site-I believe he'd been to the farm-and he called in to ask if we [the chaps unloading the feed] would like a cup of tea.
Five cups were duly brought forth and Prince Charles & I were sat on a bale.
At one point,he turned to me and said "It's unusual not to be under a cascade of questions-do you not have any?"

...and,yer man Puggy came up with "Just one,sir-do you have plans for when you become queen?" Yes. REALLY.
Funny you mentioned prince Charlie when you did Pug me lad, he’s been over here with his wife for the past two days, roaming around Wicklow enjoying the view, some lovely spots in Wicklow.
That’s his fifth time over here in five years, who knows maybe he’s picking out a nice little castle to live in when yiz all leave the EC.

A line from the old song ‘Monto’ when Queen Vic visited us back in 1900.

“The Queen she came to call on us, she wanted to see all
Of us,
I'm glad she didn't fall on us, she's eighteen stone”

I have never seen this bit of film before, I came across it when I was checking the year Victoria came to Dublin, it’s a very clear film for the time it was taken, I think that archway is the one at Christ Church on the way to the Liffey from Dublin Castle. a very historical piece of film that. just imagine every single person, and animal in that clip is dead and buried now, makes you wonder what we’re put here for in the first place doesn’t it?, here today gone tomorrow.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 02:51 PM

Those tiny moths are right little buggers. I hate killing any creatures but unless you want every single item of clothing you have ever bought to suddenly spout holes, then you have to get rid of them immediately.

I used to think that moths eating your clothes was an old wives tale until it happened to us a few years ago. Not satisfied with just munching on our clothes, they gorged their way through our carpet too. Moving house was the obvious answer but even after doing so, we still get the odd hole appear. I'm not sure if there's a whole new bunch of moths or whether they came with us.
solo
UK

21-05-2019, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
A line from the old song ‘Monto’ when Queen Vic visited us back in 1900.

“The Queen she came to call on us, she wanted to see all
Of us,
I'm glad she didn't fall on us, she's eighteen stone”
Thanks for this Jem. I do love these really old clips and it is one of the wonders of our age that they can be viewed like this.

Did you see there wasn't anyone there taking mobile phone pics
solo
UK

21-05-2019, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Those tiny moths are right little buggers. I hate killing any creatures but unless you want every single item of clothing you have ever bought to suddenly spout holes, then you have to get rid of them immediately.

I used to think that moths eating your clothes was an old wives tale until it happened to us a few years ago. Not satisfied with just munching on our clothes, they gorged their way through our carpet too. Moving house was the obvious answer but even after doing so, we still get the odd hole appear. I'm not sure if there's a whole new bunch of moths or whether they came with us.

Thanks Longdogs . Update..... Guess what moths can't swim. 2 for the price of one who have now gone orf hand in hand

Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 01:49 AM

I rather liked the magic horse + rider,that 'Abracadabra'd' his way onto the screen right beside the carriage,at 02.26 seconds.
Makes a 'magician' sitting in a glass box for 44 days seem tame,by comparison...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top