Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 08:13 AM

Re: Microsoft Issues Windows 10 May 2020 Update Warning

The update was on my Intel NUC computer that uses its own onboard Intel graphics processing. When I turned on this morning, the graphics were very strange. A red tinge over everything and some solid red streaks. A driver problem I expect.

I have the Intel Driver and Support Assistant installed but keep it disabled in Services.msc (no need to have the assistant running in the background all the time). I went into Services.msc, enabled the assistant and rebooted.

The graphics looked OK on reboot without doing anything else. I let the assistant check for updates anyway and it duly installed Intel's own graphics driver.

A bit inconclusive as to what made the difference but everything looks OK now.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 11:09 AM

This the list of issues (including drivers) that MS admits knowing about:

Windows 10, version 2004 and Windows Server, version 2004

Known issues

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...indows-10-2004
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 11:17 AM

The graphics problem on the NUC has not gone entirely away. I left the computer for a while and when it was woken up, the graphics looked peculiar again. I was about to revert to version 1909 but then the problem went away again. I think I'll stay with it a while longer.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

30-05-2020, 03:36 PM

The graphics problem kept coming back and I had to go back to version 1909 in the end. That's the first time I've ever needed to do that. It was easy to revert with no need to resort to the previously made disk image. I'll try again at a later date.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
The graphics problem kept coming back and I had to go back to version 1909 in the end. That's the first time I've ever needed to do that. It was easy to revert with no need to resort to the previously made disk image. I'll try again at a later date.
Worth a try .....

..... and, as you say, MS have made it easier to regress .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

30-05-2020, 04:38 PM

I might try it on the Desktop computer tomorrow. This has got an Nvidia graphics card in it. It will be interesting to see what happens. I've had enough 'interest' for one day though.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 08:40 PM

I looked at the given link, and the guy had the word BETA, on his review page.

Unless I'm mistaken, that would mean that he is referring to a Beta copy of the proposed Software Update.

Beta versions are those made ready to go out to their testing members & are not usually sent to update those who have not signed up to help pre-test Beta versions.

I suspect that you will find that this version will not be going out to "the world" until MS has vetted & fixed it.

But, I could be wrong?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

30-05-2020, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I looked at the given link, and the guy had the word BETA, on his review page.

Unless I'm mistaken, that would mean that he is referring to a Beta copy of the proposed Software Update.

Beta versions are those made ready to go out to their testing members & are not usually sent to update those who have not signed up to help pre-test Beta versions.

I suspect that you will find that this version will not be going out to "the world" until MS has vetted & fixed it.

But, I could be wrong?
I think you're wrong .....

The quote is "After almost a year and a half of beta testing, Microsoft's Windows 10 May 2020 Update is finally available to download. " - to me that implies that the beta phase is over and that is confirmed by visiting Microsoft:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...y-2020-update/

How to get the Windows 10 May 2020 Update

Windows 10 continues to play a key role in how we learn, live and work during these unique times, and we want to ensure a high quality and reliable experience, while also delivering you the latest innovations. In mid-April, we announced the initial availability of the Windows 10 May 2020 Update through the Windows Insider Program’s Release Preview ring, allowing us to both monitor and improve the quality of the release. Based on affirmative preview feedback, today we are pleased to announce that we are starting to make the May 2020 Update available. In this blog, we will cover how you can get the update and choose when to install, and availability for commercial organizations to begin targeted deployments.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

30-05-2020, 08:58 PM

I got the update by going to Microsoft's Media Creation Tool page and downloading the Update Assistant:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

I don't think they put betas on there.

Edit: It does need work though.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

31-05-2020, 09:59 AM

I might have blamed the update when it wasn't that.

The graphics fault was back this morning. I have two computers sharing the same monitor. It is possibly the box that switches between the two computers causing the trouble. All seems well after bypassing the box.

Then again, it seemed OK yesterday with the switching box in place. Time will tell.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top