Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2020, 11:25 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Pity about the swallows Solo. the brother and me used to spend hours watching them in the old fields beside the Tolka River when we were boys, they are so agile, lovely creatures, I haven’t seen one in donkeys years, those fields have houses built there now.
I’m glad you got your kitchen sorted out.

Speaking of women sorting things out, the wife was up bright and early this morning, hours before I stirred, anyway after I had me breakfast I decided to go out to the shed and go to work on that walking stick I left to mature on the roof of the shed, I got out the small step ladder and looked on the roof, the stick was gone!. It couldn’t have blown away because I had a heavy building block on it, still the block had moved, a mystery, I was puzzled as I went back into the house.
“You didn’t happen to see that stick I cut off the rose bush last week and put on the shed roof, did you Phyllis?”
“Ah that ould thing?, I chucked it in the bin for the bin men, they were around early this morning”
She had looked out the back bedroom window earlier and copped it on the roof.
I rest me case yer honour, you just can’t win can yeh.

Interesting about the navy, actually I wasn’t a bad swimmer in me day.

Brendan O’Dowda, one of my uncles looked like him, pity he hadn’t a note in his head, he had what they used to call five o’clock shadow, jet black beard without hair if you know what I mean, some men no matter how close they shave always look like they still need a shave, very heavy dark growths. Jack Palance had it as did all the baddies in the old comic books, especially the cowboy comics, also the good cowboy always had a light coloured hat and the baddie wore a dark one, life was so black and white in those days.

Here’s an example of a goodie and a baddie, note how clean the good fella’s clothes and face are, and if he was smiling his teeth would be whiter than the bad lads teeth.
Am I reading that right? does that say “The Ghost Town of Twin Butts”?
As Trump is fond of saying “Probably just another shithole place”

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 03:10 PM

Now about this stick...or otherwise now known as mens tat. Us Women are born with an inbuilt instinct on how to deal with mens tat. Our tat is different you see as it always has a use or purpose and a women can and will give you a hundred and one reasons why her tat is essential in her life. whereas mens tat is just that... tat cluttering up the place.

Men won't remotely understand why her tat it more important than their tat but as you are not supposed to understand it really does not matter..just take it from me it has always been so and will always remain as so.

At the risk of being banned from the Sacred Sisterhood of Womanly Tat I give you this glimmer of future manly tit for tat should the rare chance arise....The next time you fall over simply whisper painfully....."Now if I had only had that rosewood walking stick I was about to make this would never have happened". Enjoy that small moment even though it won't make a blind bit of difference mind you..it never does.

You are mostly right about cowboy baddies...they don't talk proper either probably due to their having to sound toughlike. The exception was my hero Dean Martin...dark haired, unshaven and a goodie to boot. I would have personally hunted down anyone in the making of Rio Bravo who had attempted to shave him and made sure they were lynched proper like.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 07:30 PM

That made me laugh Solo, and I needed a laugh.

It’s a wise man who doesn’t question a woman’s tat, steer clear of that, just let her get on with whatever she’s at.

Ah!, you posted one of Phyllis’s favourite songs, old Dino God be good to him.

There used to be a tall dark handsome fella up in the local many years back, every Saturday night he played guitar and wore a cowboy hat, he did mostly country and western stuff and herself loves that music, he used to sing that song introducing it thus “And now especially for Phyllis, my rifle my pony and me” and he’s give her a smile and a big wink.
She would go all googie eyed and weak at the knees God help her. I had heard that he was as gay as a carnival but when I told her this she said I was just jealous.
Broke her heart when he ran off to Canada with the married head barman, quite a big scandal back then, I felt so sorry for her.

I got me eye on another branch on her rose tree, but it’s not thick enough yet, it’ll be perfect for next year and when I cut it off I’ll hide it in the attic.

We had a bumper crop of tomatoes last year and they were gorgeous, far tastier than those from any shop, but we planted far too many plants and this year I planted only five seeds, they are starting to come up now in the little plastic greenhouse. I know very little about seeds and plants so I’m learning all the time, might even stick me nose into the garden section to get a few tips from the enlightened ones therein.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 07:50 PM

After all the tender loving care I poured into growing spuds only to get 1 miniture tater that you needed an magnifying glass to see...I quit with that grow yer own lark I can tell you.... especially when the greenery promised so much more . I was already to do a Jack and the Beanstalk shimmy to collect my tattie reward. Never again not when you can buy a bag so cheap and without all that lingering sense of failure.

Have the local radio on these days as they are far more upbeat and jolly than the TV which is what you need. Just one announcement for anyone listening..Stay away to save lives. Can't be any clearer can it but with hot weather forecast you do wonder if it will be heeded. Reminds me of this

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 12:05 PM

Allo, I'm-a Giuspitty, I got-a something special-a for you, ready?

What's-a matter you? Hey! Got-a itchy nose?
What-a you think you do? Got a tickly eye?
Just-a keep-a on yer toes
Keep-a yer hands, in-a dare place
Ah, don't touch-a your face.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

04-04-2020, 03:42 PM

Excellent Spitty!
A nobody a touch any a thing any a more, it’s amore nightmare in Italy.

I'm developing an awful fear of germs lately and I didn't get it from Agnes. Howard Hughes more likely.
I must be washing me hands at least 30 times a day now, when the daughter leaves the messages in the porch I take them out of the shopping bag one by one, remove any access wrapping and then I take the lot out to the sun cabin for at least 24 hours, barring milk and bread, then I wash me hands again with sanitised soap.
Any parcel post and letters I wont touch until at least a day, the bills a lot longer.

I’m beginning to understand how Howard Hughes felt at the latter part of his life, methinks we’ll all end up like him before this thing is over, either that or nervous wreaks.

“Hughes's fear of germs grew throughout his life, and he concurrently developed obsessive-compulsive symptoms around efforts to protect himself from germs.
For example, he wrote a staff manual on how to open a can of peaches--including directions for removing the label, scrubbing the can down until it was bare metal, washing it again and pouring the contents into a bowl without touching the can to the bowl.
Ironically, Hughes ended up neglecting his own hygiene later in his life, rarely bathing or brushing his teeth. He even forced his compulsions on those around him, ordering staff to wash their hands multiple times and layer their hands with paper towels when serving his food.
"He didn't believe germs could come from him, just from the outside. "He was convinced that he was going to be contaminated from the outside." (source: American Psychological Association)

I’ll bet there’s not many who remember this old song.
solo
UK

05-04-2020, 10:58 AM

Took a leisurely read through the papers this morning and it is no surprise that a lot of businesses having declared total doom, gloom and distaster have shaken themselves down...taken stock of what they can actually do for the public.. and reinvented themselves for the good of mankind. Just shows what a bit of thought can do when you are up against it.

I have mixed feelings on this over germ washing thingie as 'cleanliness is next to godliness'always scared me a little as a nipper. I used to think if I was toooooo clean I would end up being an angel on a fluffy pink cloud quicker than I wanted to be...so I much preferred the 'a little bit of dirt hurt no one' philosophy.

A mix of soap and herd would seem sensible to build up our immune systems if we actually knew what this covid was all about but as no one is really saying 'what this covid is all about we dutifully disinfect our pinkies...which are getting more pinkier by the day. Till then whether we soap..shower whilst reading the papers or bathe with all our shopping chucked in to the bath water we can but do our best.

As Margaret Atwood once wrote ..Take heart! Humanity's been through it before. There will be an Other Side, eventually. We just need to make it through this part, between Before and After.

A foot tapper or earworm to cheer you up when washing yer ands

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

05-04-2020, 07:36 PM

Oh I was always a nice little clean boy, well washed and scrubbed going out in the wee hours of the morning to serve the six o'clock mass come hail rain or snow, if there's a heaven my place is well and truly booked there.
What was that old ad? "A little squirt gets the dirt"

I have to admit the missus and me are doing far better than I thought we would during this emergency, we really miss the grandkids who used to be here nearly everyday, practically lived here.

I realise reaching 100 is no big deal nowadays but I thought this was a cheerful photo.

This lovely Dublin lady celebrated her 100th birthday on Friday last, all her family had to keep their distance, but she seems to be enjoying her birthday tipple sitting outside, doesn’t she look great for her age.

“The 100-year-old says she still loves gardening and even managed to put down a few plants last week.
When asked what her secret is to living a long and happy life Margaret said: "The doctor asked me that earlier and I said eat your porridge and keep walking!. I can walk a fair distance without getting tired." RTE news.
Good for you me lass.
There ya go Meg, I told you that Flahavan’s porridge was great stuff, see you when you get the Queens cheque, we’ll go out on a bender together.

Speaking of the old persons centenary bonus. every time I google to find how much they give you in the UK I keep getting the Irish amount, which incidentally is €2,540, not bad if you make it. it might interest some members here who were born in Ireland that the bonus has recently been extended to those living abroad.
solo
UK

06-04-2020, 10:30 AM

A milestone photo that plus 'A Centenary Bonus'...but not for us here in the UK..just a card to say well done for reaching a 100 despite all the odds being stacked against you... or something like that. Mind you what do you really need a bonus for at that age! Do they still do that Sanatogen stuff that promised full health and fitness! Drinking yourself to death didn't work nor did eating the wrong foods and as for smoking well nuff sed about that one as if you have reached a 100 that failed too.

My last neighbour was 102 before her loving kin carted her off kicking and screaming to put her in a care home. She was fitter than them and far sharper to boot who swore that a daily dose of Epsom salts was the reasons for her longevity. Took her word for it but never went there myself as I'm a great believer in letting nature take it's course in some areas of my well being.

Well the Grand National took place...virtually of course and Potters Corner romped home. Seems to have been well watched and loads of money money was made which makes you wonder....if we could have virtual footbal matches etc in future to save those poor laddies from taking those awful knocks... not to mention saving on those outlandish fees they are paid. Food for thought.

Getting along is a must these days especially if you have a garden cos if you see your other half digging a hole...in may not be for planting spuds in...just saying

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2020, 11:16 AM

My other half don't "Dig Holes" man, she did buy one of those dustbins with holes in and a pointy lid, I wonder what she is trying to incinerate.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top