Join for free
Page 496 of 1676 « First < 396 446 486 494 495 496 497 498 506 546 596 996 1496 > Last »
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 10:48 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Heaven, most people want to go there after they slip free from their mortal coil. No one has come back from heaven there so there is no first hand knowledge. Straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.
Obituaries and newspaper notices are full of romantic, and soppy verses about the deceased and personal tributes to them. It’s a comfort to refer to a last resting place where death is no more and safety and contentment reign for ever and ever.
Arriving in heaven must be rather like waking up from an operation & not knowing where you are for a period. Others will arrive at the same time, though departed years apart in our worldly terms.

There is an interesting chapter in A History of The World in 10 1/2 Chapters, by Julian Barnes
The phrase 'novel of ideas' has become something of a last resort for critics. Writers don't like it much either, and you can see why. It might contain a muted compliment on the grounds of intellectual clout, but it also implies precisely the kind of aridity which Julian Barnes's new novel - with its strained jokiness, its reader-friendly efforts to counter seriousness of purpose with stylistic informality - labours to avoid. A History of The World In 10 1/2 Chapters, while hardly a ground-breaking piece of experimentalism, succeeds to the extent that it is both intelligent and reasonably accessible.
We ave 10 short stories, widely disparate in location and historical period but with recurring points of contact. It begins on Noah's Ark: a michievous woodworm explains how he managed to sneak on board without being spotted by the drunken patriarch. Boats and woodworm crop up frequently in the subsequent stories, and in two of the better ones, The Mountain and Project Ararat, the myth of the flood becomes the wellspring of two more obsessive and personal journeys.

Finally I intended to write about heaven as perhaps our , or one of our topics for the week. As is usual I was carried away with enthusiasm for the above book which says in the final chapter ½

In 1989, in the closing pages of his novel A History of the World in 10½ Chapters, Julian Barnes imagined what heaven might be like. Before his amiable narrator sussed that an eternity of happiness – the perfect breakfast sausage, the return of his favourite corduroy trousers, endless exceptional golf scorecards and an audience with Judy Garland – might eventually pall, he experienced something really worth getting excited about. “They’re a good team,” he wrote of Leicester City, “a very good team sometimes, yet they never seem to win the big ones.” In heaven though, not only did Leicester win the FA Cup, but their entire team was selected to play for England, whereupon they sailed to World Cup victory.

All excerpts from the GRAUNIAD
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
"heaven" is a pleasure garden supreme - the biggest and most lasting theme park in the whole wide universe!!

I'm in heaven ; oh it's heaven
and so happy that I can hardly speak
when we're out together dancing cheek to cheek [applies to persons of all genre - just choose which cheeks you prefer]

there are very few journalists these days that excite like Robert Fisk and Patrick Cockburn - they have lighting sharp vision and analysis that can remind us so frighteningly of the inhumanity of man [always men] towards the rest of us man ;woman and child.

this is one of Patrick Cockburns who writes for the Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a8214316.html
I Remember It Well
Maurice Chevalier, Hermione Gingold
We met at nine, we met at eight, I was on time, no, you were late
Ah, yes, I remember it well
We dined with friends, we dined alone, a tenor sang, a baritone
That dazzling April moon, there was none that night
And the month was June, that's right, that's right
It warms my heart to know that you remember still the way you do
How often I've thought of that Friday, Monday night
When we had our last rendezvous
And somehow I foolishly wondered if you might
By some chance be thinking of it too?
That carriage ride, you walked me home
You lost a glove, aha, it was a comb

AAh they don't write songs like that anymore Jem
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 11:43 AM

I really don't know where I will end up after I have ended my earthly career because I can only go by what it seems like at the moment which is once you are dead, you are dead and you can't get deader than dead can you.

Song lyrics are great for getting a message across to a dear one although I am still not sure that Fred Astaires lyrics in A Fine Romance would have won my heart when he sang

We should be like a couple of hot tomatoes
But you're as cold as yesterday's mashed potatoes

Mashed Potato doesn't quite push the romance buttons does it
Robert Jnr.
UK

18-02-2018, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
I really don't know where I will end up after I have ended my earthly career because I can only go by what it seems like at the moment which is once you are dead, you are dead and you can't get deader than dead can you.

Song lyrics are great for getting a message across to a dear one although I am still not sure that Fred Astaires lyrics in A Fine Romance would have won my heart when he sang

We should be like a couple of hot tomatoes
But you're as cold as yesterday's mashed potatoes

Mashed Potato doesn't quite push the romance buttons does it
Hi Solo

or as sexist as Ms Maugham when she warbled my anthem ,
"When people ask of me
what would you like to be,
now that you're not a kid any more?
I know just what to say,
I answer right a away.
There's just one thing
I've been wishing for.
I wanna be Bobby's girl,
I wanna be Bobby's girl.
That's the most important thing to me.
And if I was Bobby's girl;
if I was Bobby's girl,
what a faithful, thankful girl I'd be.
Robert Jnr.
UK

18-02-2018, 12:04 PM

Well I never, glancing at the clock, I have been slaving away over a hot pc for 2 hours.
Will anyone read any or all of it (GBY Solo)? Will my grammar improve, Will Mrs May or Mr Corbyn be with us still at the year end.
And what happened to HORACE BACHELOR??
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 12:13 PM

I have had a bit of catching up to do, as you do when you haven't caught up for a while and want to catch up.

Opera. Well I just don't like it. It's as simple as that.
As for going to the flicks to see a good song and dance filum, these days it seems so much more of a chore than a treat.

As for theme parks, did you know that the first ever baby incubators were at Coney Island theme park? They were too expensive for hospitals in those days, so people paid to see tiny babies in a bubble at the fair, which produced enough funds to pay for the babies' care, and profits were used to buy more incubators.

I need new glasses, or need to pay more attention when reading.
I thought solo's comment about a bar in the back garden ended with the suggestion that the wife might throw in scampi in a basket as a threat.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Jnr. ->
Well I never, glancing at the clock, I have been slaving away over a hot pc for 2 hours.
Will anyone read any or all of it (GBY Solo)? Will my grammar improve, Will Mrs May or Mr Corbyn be with us still at the year end.
And what happened to HORACE BACHELOR??
Tune in again next week at the same time to find out what happens in the new and exciting episode of ... Life.

I think Marvin may have had the right idea about that.

Life, loath it or ignore it. You can't like it.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 01:40 PM

Well I do suppose it’s time to talk about the unpalatable – the mortal and the immortal. There are of course those amongst us who feel and even perhaps know they are immortal and those others who will say “tush” we are all mortal and when we cease this mortal coil that’s it that’s the end.

No shuffling in the back row Jem and RJ; this is a serious topic. So as we among us who have reached or drawing near the three score years and ten will attest – we KNOW our time draws near too. We see those stars and celebrities and close friends and others ‘drop off the perch' – some sooner than we expected.

However no matter how long I ponder on this topic I KNOW my time will come BUT I FEEL immortal. And there is the difference between scientific knowledge perhaps and spiritual enlightenment ?

So each day as I groan and moan my way through the aches and pains I KNOW its coming but I don’t BELIEVE there is an end. Thank you ; I thank you erhm ahem I thank you!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 05:37 PM

Catching up Fruity, I remember a fella saying to me in the local one evening “Where were you this morning when I seen you going to work, when I caught up on you you were gone” Never did figure that one out.

Good piece of writing there about priorities Gummy. Ah yes, Paddy Cockburn from Cork, a Corkman for your life as they used to say, in a jocular vein of course, “He’d live in your ear and let the other one out in flats”
But what can we poor individuals do but sit back and watch guilty organisations perform cover up after cover up, no backbone in any of them anymore to stand up and say “It was my fault” It all depresses me and makes me sick.
Roll on heaven, I’m looking forward to getting away from the greedy grabbers on this planet.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 05:51 PM

O' man river,
Dat ol' man river,
He mus'know sumpin'
But don't say nuthin'
He jes' keeps rollin'
He keeps on rollin' along.

PR 1927

Page 496 of 1676 « First < 396 446 486 494 495 496 497 498 506 546 596 996 1496 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top