Join for free
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Marky34
Surrey
Marky34 is male  Marky34 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 01:47 PM

Policing in the 1970’s

Hello Everyone,

I don’t know what’s appropriate for a first post, but here goes.

With plenty of time on my hands at the moment I was browsing in all sorts of topics and I saw something elsewhere talking about the differences between modern day policing and the way it was back in the seventies and eighties. It was fascinating and somewhat amusing.

It got me thinking about some of the comical, incredible and probably unbelievable incidents that occurred when I worked with the Met Police back in those days. It truly was a different world.

I might consider posting a few in the coming days. Not in a disrespectful manner, but just for amusement.

Did anyone else experience first hand policing in those times.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 01:56 PM

Re: Policing in the 1970’s

The first thing that springs to mind is Police were always around. Walking the usual beat, almost always alone which these days can be far more risky. Rarely if ever a female police officer and kids had far more respect for a scary, usually six foot copper. Is it a sign of old age when I say most of today's police officers appear a lot shorter, a lot younger and even wear specs. I failed my police entrance medical back then because I am colourblind. I was gutted.

Oh and welcome to Off Marky. Just jump in and have fun.
Marky34
Surrey
Marky34 is male  Marky34 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
The first thing that springs to mind is Police were always around. Walking the usual beat, almost always alone which these days can be far more risky. Rarely if ever a female police officer and kids had far more respect for a scary, usually six foot copper. Is it a sign of old age when I say most of today's police officers appear a lot shorter, a lot younger and even wear specs. I failed my police entrance medical back then because I am colourblind. I was gutted.

Oh and welcome to Off Marky. Just jump in and have fun.
Thanks!

Yes, you’re right. I remember being in an office one day and a fairly young officer came in, went to read something and reached into his pocket and put a pair of glasses on. Everyone looked at him in real surprise and somebody asked, “Glasses! How did you get in?!”

Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 02:11 PM

Like " Life on Mars"?
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 02:19 PM

The Irony was Marky at the time I had the medical which found I was colourblind, I was a qualified TV engineer and a great many tv components were colour coded..resistors etc... I must say I certainly would not want to be in the Met Police these days or any other big city force.
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 02:48 PM

There were a time youngsters respected (feared) the Police.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Like " Life on Mars"?
There's something oddly attractive about Gene Hunt
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 03:03 PM

Did I? Oh my life yes. "These ain't stripes on my sleeve son, they're notches" as I smashed my goolies into his knee.

The Manchester police were something special. Cause trouble and you knew about it. Be IN trouble - and non finer.
Marky34
Surrey

25-03-2020, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by marciniak ->
There was a time when constables feared their sergeants too!!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by marciniak ->
Also respected. In "my" neck of the woods anyway. They spoke our language.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top