Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 01:15 PM

Two Busy-Bodies Or Nuisance Cyclists?

These two ladies in the article and video (one a teacher, the other a parish councillor) who are both aged 62, deliberately put wood and rocks on a woodland path to deter cyclists.
The video shows them having a go at a teenager who was riding his mountain bike along the track and wanted to retrieve his shovel. He could have been injured if he can gone into the hazards.

Who do you think was right in this situation, the boy or the two ladies?

Should they have minded their own business and not taken the law into their own hands?
Or are cyclists a nuisance and should keep out of woods?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...re_article-top
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 01:31 PM

Re: Two Busy-Bodies Or Nuisance Cyclists?

I'm not sure tbh. The good thing of course is that the cyclists are not on the road which is always a good thing. Whoever is in charge of the woodland needs to make it clear who has and doesn't have access to it. I can imagine trying to have a nice walk through the woods only to be shoved out of the way by some grubby lycra-clad biker every few minutes; but if it's not illegal then they are entitled to do so. Perhaps they should make two paths.
PSXtreme
Missouri, United States
PSXtreme is male 

14-05-2020, 01:33 PM

The rights of the individual are absolute, as so long as the exercising of those rights in no way negatively impacts another's freedoms or rights.

-Thomas Hobbes
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by PSXtreme ->
The rights of the individual are absolute, as so long as the exercising of those rights in no way negatively impacts another's freedoms or rights.

-Thomas Hobbes
They should put that on a sign. That would confuse the lot of 'em.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 01:41 PM

These two old bags are a total disgrace to the older generation.
The young man is to be commended for his good manners and mature handling of the situation .
Why didnt they pick on those foul mouthed mamils (middle age men in Lycra )who apart from looking totally ridiculous zoom up in silence and shout excuse me when they are about six inches from you and expect you to leap out of their way -;Buy a bell you plonkers ! No because they know they would be mowed down at worst and given a nasty mouthful at best .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by PSXtreme ->

-Thomas Hobbes
The rights of the individual are NOT absolute. Certainly not in the case of a democratic civilisation.

In this case I fully support the action of the women.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
These two old bags are a total disgrace to the older generation.
The young man is to be commended for his good manners and mature handling of the situation .
Why didnt they pick on those foul mouthed mamils (middle age men in Lycra )who apart from looking totally ridiculous zoom up in silence and shout excuse me when they are about six inches from you and expect you to leap out of their way -;Buy a bell you plonkers ! No because they know they would be mowed down at worst and given a nasty mouthful at best .
I wish our cyclists here would shout something! They just sneak up from behind and scare you! So do joggers, except they pant at you.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 02:02 PM

They could have been responsible for serious injury to the biker.

The young man wasn't rude and handled it well.

I hope those women got a telling off.
PSXtreme
Missouri, United States
PSXtreme is male 

14-05-2020, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The rights of the individual are NOT absolute. Certainly not in the case of a democratic civilisation.

In this case I fully support the action of the women.
I'm sure you would be singing a different tune if you were the one on the receiving end of these two ladies exercising their choice. As long as you agree with the message, you support having other's rights restricted. It's when you become the victim of the majority's decision to do against you that there is a violation of freedom.

“While democracy must have its organizations and controls, its vital breath is individual liberty.”
—Charles Evans Hughes
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

14-05-2020, 02:14 PM

The trouble is, where do these 'freedoms' end. Would it be acceptable to allow 4x4s or dirt bikes through the woods too? There are certain parts of Dartmoor which have been ruined by such behaviour.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top