Join for free
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2020, 04:22 AM

Telecaster restoration.

I decided to re-submit this one under a new title for the benefit of the guitarists on here. I figured they may not have noticed "dust coat", it's original thread. So....

This is for all the artists and restorers and/ or guitarists on here. I am restoring an old electric guitar. Those guitarists among you will recognise the wonderful Fender Telecaster as shown here. I have obtained a replacement decal and applied it. It is the soak and slide on type. Guitar enthusiasts here may gasp when they see "Fender esquire" The original of these are worth squillions. This is not one. THis is an old Tele Squire that lost it's head - literally. This is the closest decal I could get. It will do. This model is the closest in design and appearance to the original early 1950s Telecaster Esquire.

The third pic is the Telecaster with it's restored headstock: machine heads replaced and strung. I'll play it for a few days - it's been a long time and I've missed it - then de-string again and start on the fret board. Not going to replace the frets themselves, just restore the fret spaces. Last stage will be re- surfacing the body. Probably in sunburst. That's going to be the hardest part. Will need some professional help with that.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Telecaster 1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	12741   Click image for larger version

Name:	telecaster 2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	12742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Telecaster 3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	12743  
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2020, 07:05 AM

Re: Telecaster restoration.

Never thought there was much difference between the products, had an American Strat, and a couple of Squires, Frank Dunnery seemed to prefer the Squire, a mediocre quality well set up instrument, is probably a better tool than a high quality stock item, as a youngster, you thought it was just plug and play, for ever more.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2020, 07:57 AM

Nice guitar !

You can't beat the twang of a tele
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2020, 10:02 AM

I agree with both of you. I've had Fenders, Gibsons, Rickenbacker and a few other "big" brands. My fave was my 1972 Martin D35 dreadnought I had for 30 years. Accoustic with an internal gold line I used to use with a Passac. Great guitar. Had a Gibson SG standard in my late teens. That was great for blues and the Rickenbacker was better for country rock. Now my son and I share a lovely American Strat. Sunburst classic. This old Tele is indeed a wonderful guitar. Just lucky I guess.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2020, 01:28 PM

Keezoy, tried a session on my Ovation, but, I have had a frozen shoulder for nigh on twelve months, and found the position of my arm uncomfortable, the son has a Les Paul, I love the playabillty of that.
keezoy
Australia

26-05-2020, 02:39 PM

Yes Ovations have a great action usually and a nice sound but I find the rounded back very uncomfortable and weird. I have never had a Les Paul. They are classic but very heavy. I had an SG and out of the Gibsons that was my favourite. Been banging away on my Strat and the Tele for a while now.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2020, 03:57 PM

I hope the work goes well for you and you end up with a finished instrument the late Leo F would be proud of.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2020, 05:19 PM

You all ought to do a few recordings and post them.

I've had a go on a Fender and a Gibson but it was only brief and I can't remember the models. My ex-brother-in-law played professionally (but small-time) and had an impressive collection of great guitars. I was hoping he would leave me one in his will but he didn't.

I have an Epiphone acoustic guitar bought in 1976 that I strum sometimes ..but to no great success these day because of lack of practice. This and another Spanish guitar make lovely ornaments though. I keep saying I'll try to play them reasonably well again but that's as far as it gets.

The grandchildren play fairly well and one has been in a group or two. They started playing after hearing me finger-pick the chord sequence in 'House Of The Rising Sun'. I always played this first whenever I picked one of the guitars up. The worst part is that I can't even play that now without fluffing it.

I hope the restoration goes as well as you want it to keezoy.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

26-05-2020, 09:40 PM

Had a go on the Ovation tonight, still bang on intonationally after several months, I thought I was doing well till the dog ran upstairs. Just before my shoulder went skewiff I perfected the acoustic intro to this song, a life time deferred ambition.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top