Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
callumsmum
warwickshire uk
callumsmum is female  callumsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 04:14 AM

Re: How We Lived

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
I have to ask this question, can you get a pint in The Bottle & Glass Inn?.
You can get a pint in the pub you have to pay 2011 prices though..Their is also a very old fish and chip shop and most visitors que and buy some wrapped in paper like the old days .Their is also a fun fair old style sort i have more photos i will dig them out ..
I remember the outside loo as my aunty had one just like the one in my photo not great finding yourself outside in the dark and cold looking to spend a penny..Looking at old things is fascinating and things back then were made to last..Not sure i would have enjoyed wash day though ..
callumsmum
warwickshire uk
callumsmum is female  callumsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 04:25 AM

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 03:18 PM

Oh! the Aspidistras! Practically every home had one years ago and the one my grandmother had was passed down through the family over the years and finally eventually arrived with me. I have a strong dislike to them for some reason and this one must have been at least 100 years old! I kept it until my parents and one of my aunts I was very close to passed on and then I threw it out.! I have to say I did feel a bit guilty about discarding it. I feel sure that neither my son or daughter would have appreciated it in their homes!

The pot that mine came in was very similar to the one in you photo, Mary ...... that had to go too!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 04:05 PM

Mags darlin' your contribution raises another memory - of Gracie Fields - who sang about "The Biggest Aspidistra in the World".
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Mags darlin' your contribution raises another memory - of Gracie Fields - who sang about "The Biggest Aspidistra in the World".
How could I forget that!!

dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by callumsmum ->
You can get a pint in the pub you have to pay 2011 prices though..Their is also a very old fish and chip shop and most visitors que and buy some wrapped in paper like the old days .Their is also a fun fair old style sort i have more photos i will dig them out ..
I remember the outside loo as my aunty had one just like the one in my photo not great finding yourself outside in the dark and cold looking to spend a penny..Looking at old things is fascinating and things back then were made to last..Not sure i would have enjoyed wash day though ..
You have just disillusioned me ... do you mean fish and chips doesn't still come wrapped in newspaper at the chippy? I just assumed it still did .....
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 09:03 AM

No Eileen darlin' - we haven't had fish 'n chips wrapped in newspaper for many years, because the print used by the newspaper industry either is or at least was carcogenic and our food Inspectors and Health & Safety Regulations determined that it wasn't good for us.
callumsmum
warwickshire uk

30-10-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Oh! the Aspidistras! Practically every home had one years ago and the one my grandmother had was passed down through the family over the years and finally eventually arrived with me. I have a strong dislike to them for some reason and this one must have been at least 100 years old! I kept it until my parents and one of my aunts I was very close to passed on and then I threw it out.! I have to say I did feel a bit guilty about discarding it. I feel sure that neither my son or daughter would have appreciated it in their homes!

The pot that mine came in was very similar to the one in you photo, Mary ...... that had to go too!
That was so funny bet you were glad to see it go..
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

30-10-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by callumsmum ->
That was so funny bet you were glad to see it go..
Indeed I was there are far more prettier houseplants around than an aspidistra!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

30-10-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Indeed I was there are far more prettier houseplants around than an aspidistra!
A Venus Fly trap perhaps ????

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top