Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 07:34 AM

Forum Life

Just like in real life, have you ever noticed, some forum folks enjoy an arguement. Haven't we all heard of (or witnessed) a bloke and a woman ranting or fighting in the street, you step in to try to stop the aggro, and they BOTH start on you for interfering. Nowadays I just let them get on with it (online or in the street) do you?.
Maywalk
Leicestershire
Maywalk is female  Maywalk has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 07:46 AM

Re: Forum Life

Yes Spitfire I leave them to it.
I have seen and heard enough aggro in my life and can certainly do without it on a forum.
If I have anything to say that is controversial I would rather be face to face with the person involved.
By the way my father used to call me Spitfire because of an incident that happened many many years ago between him and myself. Its all written down in the book that I had published about the first 20 years of my life.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 09:08 AM

Posting in a forum like this gives some people a sense of detachment from reality & they post comments that they would never utter face to face.

It is common to most groups and regrettable.

Over 50s seems more agreeable than most others I have joined in my 12 years on the net.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 09:24 AM

I think for the most part people retain the same personality on line that they have off line with the exception of the all out fanticists. These are occasionally found on the large forums and attempt to adopt a whole new persona but it is difficult to keep up a lie indefinitely and they are eventually spotted.

I saw a funny list once which described the various posters on forums , I will try to find it
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

There is always one upstart lol, I try to steer clear of them in real life as well.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Depending on the argument - or in the case of forums, the debate - I think it is generally a healthy thing to air views and even if things get a bit heated sometimes I see nothing negative about it as long as opinions dont get too personal or intentionally insulting towards individuals.
So, my opinion - for what it is worth is - I think lively debate with a variety of opinions is a good and healthy thing. It is interesting to know about and try to understand what and how others think, even if you don't always agree and say so. Forums have their rules and guidelines and as long as they are observed, then differences and alternative opinions to your own keep a forum a lively and interesting thing to be involved in. Surely that is what a forum should be like - it would be boring if we just sat around sharing knitting patterns.
Fighting in the street I could never see myself getting involved with - its degrading, and actual fisticuffs is the extreme result of an argument and means folks have lost control of themselves - or they are drunk.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 09:42 AM

I agree that open debate is a good thing, but on a forum you have the choice whether or not to join in with any particular conversation, which means the more heated debates can be very easily avoided if that is your choice. The other good thing of course is that in a written debate you have time to consider your response, which can often save much embarrassment later, rather than if you had spoken a retort in haste face to face...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 11:11 AM

The reason I typed into a forum in the first place was because on the thread I was viewing, a geezer was blatantly bullying another user making unpalatable direct remarks. I stepped in to defend the underdog, but after crossing swords for a while, it slowly became apparent that the aggressor and the victim were one and the same person, I hope this was the first and last time I was suckered online.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 12:08 PM

In the past I would have stepped in but these days I have a hard enough time walking down that hypothetical street without stopping an argument as well.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 01:15 PM

I always avoid serious argument on forums, I'm a member of two other forums, one local and the other to do with my trade. Personally I like to hear what other people have to say about things in general, but I cannot for the life of me see the point of someone trying to get the upper hand of someone else on a forum in space!. I see arguments and debates almost every day of my life in the local. and to be honest I enjoy them, some of the stuff that comes out is hilarious and ridiculous, I just sit back and try to keep a serious face, not easy for me I can tell you. I never take sides, that way I have no enemies around the table and I'd sooner drink with a friend than an enemy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top