Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 02:42 AM

When you fall out with a friend

A month ago a work colleague, who has always been my best mate at work had an argument which has resulted in neither party speaking to one another.

I won't go into the details of the conflict but it got very heated for a few minutes and has resulted in a difficult situation as we have to work together in the same building and cross paths. I am not one to bear a grudge against anyone, but there's that other part of me that says I should apologise even though it wasn't wholly my fault, just to regain something of a more pleasant atmosphere. But I won't back down completely and apologise without him doing the same.

How would you approach this? I have thought about saying something like "Can we start afresh...", but he may not feel the same way and besides, what do I follow my initial with?

Has this situation ever happened to you with a friend, colleague or even a family member which has resulted in a 'stalemate'?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 05:13 AM

Re: When you fall out with a friend

A disagreement is not worth being miserable at work or losing a friend/collegue over, Floydy. Take the first step and you won't be sorry however it works out. Men are so good at making amends and putting conflict in the past.

I would just start it out with a, "Life is too short and I have too much respect for you not to make amends, so what do you say about just putting our disagreement in the past?" or something of that nature. You don't necessarily have to apologize...just move on, but if you sense he needs an apology, give one. It will make you the bigger man.

Good luck!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 07:25 AM

No-one is so rich they can afford to lose a friend, Floydy. Make it up.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 07:38 AM

Make up. You may have to swallow a bit of pride but life really is too short.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 08:20 AM

Of course it depends what the conflict was about. If it's something small I'd try to forget it.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 08:43 AM

Be the bigger Man and offer to shake His hand and start again..a Month's far to long to be in the huff with a workmate.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 08:54 AM

If I were you, I'd flatten the bastard. No, just kiddin'.
I bet my last Dollar, you've already made up with him by now.
Right?
But to answer your question...no it's never ended in a stalemate with me. Either one of us usually managed to smooth things over or we simply went our own ways.
I guess it all depends on how stubborn we are.

How stubborn are you?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
A month ago a work colleague, who has always been my best mate at work had an argument which has resulted in neither party speaking to one another.

I won't go into the details of the conflict but it got very heated for a few minutes and has resulted in a difficult situation as we have to work together in the same building and cross paths. I am not one to bear a grudge against anyone, but there's that other part of me that says I should apologise even though it wasn't wholly my fault, just to regain something of a more pleasant atmosphere. But I won't back down completely and apologise without him doing the same.

How would you approach this? I have thought about saying something like "Can we start afresh...", but he may not feel the same way and besides, what do I follow my initial with?

Has this situation ever happened to you with a friend, colleague or even a family member which has resulted in a 'stalemate'?
No, I haven't fallen out with my friend.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
No, I haven't fallen out with my friend.
Excellent, that's one hundred points for the spider.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
Excellent, that's one hundred points for the spider.
Admittedly I rarely see her as she still lives in my home island, which I haven't visited for five years, and I am unlikely to go again. We phone each other occasionally.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top