Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 01:41 PM

Re: Preparing for winter

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I’m going to Australia .
Ooo fantastic! I'd love to go away every year between November and February. Miss all the miserable weather.
Whereabouts are you going, Muddy?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 01:47 PM

About an hour outside of Brisbane
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I’m going to Australia .

What do you do with Mungo, Muddy?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 01:55 PM

Mungo will stay with my son he loves going there.
It’s a rough and tumble household and he loves my grandchildren.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 02:00 PM

We always have the boiler serviced every year, ours is booked in for the 17th of this month.

I make sure we have plenty of basic food items in the cupboard in case either or both of us are unable to get out.

Winter weight duvet is put on the bed at the beginning of October.

We haven’t turned our heating on yet, just got the jumpers and fleeces out
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 02:06 PM

Our gas combination boiler is a Vaillant and has been 100% reliable since the first time we switched it on 6yrs ago. Luckily, the Vaillant service chap lives only two roads away and we use his excellent services every 1st wk in Nov. He came to us originally for a minor rattle under the boiler's 7yr guarantee when it was around 6months old (twas only the drop down door) and as he offered to undertake the servicing for a low cash sum, he has been looking after it ever since and always phones to let us know he will be with us that afternoon.

As for other states of prep for winter, we generally take a step back and tackle anything that needs attention as soon as noticed.
CoffeeCake
Northamptonshire
CoffeeCake is female  CoffeeCake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 02:33 PM

No special preparation for me, although like most I have an annual boiler service which happens to be due in March.
If we should get a lot of snow I would just walk to the shops every day and carry the shopping back in a rucksack... I like to walk anyway and have the appropriate clothing and footwear to do so in any weather.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 02:42 PM

Get the winter coats, boots, gloves, scarves & hats out
Get doggie coats out
Cut wood up and stack it for fireplace
Make sure snow blower has proper fresh gas in it
Get shovels out , salt ( cat litter for traction if stuck in driveway )
Clean leaves out of house gutters
Organize our sheds
Put winter tires on cars
Get skates sharpened
Thicker comforters or duvets on beds
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 02:43 PM

Generally I just take it as it comes, we are a few minutes walk from a supermarket so need real need to stock up on food. We do have the boiler serviced (in August when gas engineers are at their least busy) and as for the car, I never, ever get it serviced.

The one thing I do try to remember is to drain the garden hose and the pipe leading to it when there is a chance of freezing.

Also, as Floydy mentioned, the boiler condensate pipe needs to be protected. If this freezes, you boiler will stop working.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 02:46 PM

Oh yeah. Garden hoses.
Thanks Longdogs

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top