Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 02:42 PM

Re: Couple on train

As I say, Train lines should not be reserving seats for anyone on commuter specials. It's bad enough trying to find a seat without seeing those ruddy tickets stuck on the back of empty seats which may not even by used until several stations ahead. It's not fair for those struggling to get to work.

Barring that, I would first look at the reservation ticket to see where it has been reserved from and sit there until we reached that station. I would then continue to sit on the reserved seat because in many cases, no-one lays claim to them even if they have reservations, but if anyone came along and said the usual "Excuse me, I believe those are our reserved seats" I wouldn't hesitate to apologise, stand up and let them have their seat(s). The last thing I would ever want at the start of my working day would be having an unnecessary row with another passenger over something so unavoidable.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 04:42 PM

By reading some of the replies, looks like there are a couple of selfish ill-mannered people in here.

I myself have been a long time train commuter and the issue of reserved seats can be a complicated one depending on the time of day of the commute and the distance of the commute. I do agree that with regards to trains that are primarily used for short commute distances there should be no reserve seat situation BUT on trains that travel further through the same locations as the shorter distance commute trains then yes reserved seats should be allowed.

Many times i would travel by train to London to see my father who went to live with his parents (my grandparents) when my parents divorced. He would drive up to London in his fathers Hilman Hunter estate car . Depending on the time of day, there would be a straight through train to London Euston that started off in Wales and stopped at all the main stations on route to London. Even though this train stopped off at stations that many used on their daily commute, reserved seating was allowed and it was paid for (remember my parents having to pay £2 extra for reserved seating). If that early train was missed then there was a latter one that could be caught from Birmingham Newstreet but you would have to take a commuter train to Birmingham. Again, that train from Birmingham had reserved seating even though it passed from commute locations.

It must also be remembered as well that the local commute trains stop at EVERY station along the route. The longer distance trains do not, they only stop at the main stations along the route, which is why many try to catch these trains because it means they get home quicker BUT these trains are the ones that have reserved seating.

Ignorance is no defence regardless of ones age or disability. If a seat is reserved it is reserved for a reason and you are the ones who reserved it, you have no right to sit there. Anyone who defends such actions is just showing how ignorant and ill-mannered they are.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 04:49 PM

It's now a dog eat dog world.

OK it always has been to a certain degree but now more than ever.

I really would have no hesitation in doing what that couple did.

Would it make me unpopular and criticised? Quite probably but ---

I'd have a seat.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

I'd have a seat.
Not for long.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Not for long.
Why? No-one would DARE lay a finger on us.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 05:00 PM

Why? No-one would DARE lay a finger on us.
Why not? Are you asylum seekers?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 05:03 PM

I'd have a seat.
What if you had reserved seats on a long trip and they sat in YOUR seats ?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

26-10-2019, 05:05 PM

Why not? Are you asylum seekers?
Think about it, and the headlines.

"Elderly man thrown to the ground by ********* (whoever) suffers severe strains and muscular bruising".

And then sometime later "Elderly man awarded n thousands in compensation claim following brutal attack on train"

Trust me, that's what I'd do without second thought.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

26-10-2019, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
What if you had reserved seats on a long trip and they sat in YOUR seats ?
I'd raise merry hell and use our age as a lever to get a seat because some mug would give up their seat for us.
CoffeeCake
Northamptonshire
CoffeeCake is female  CoffeeCake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 05:11 PM

Not for long.
https://www.agingcare.com/articles/d...ers-141481.htm

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top