Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 02:34 PM

Re: Postman Delivering Adverts!

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Almost daily, my postman staggers up my path carrying a very heavy bag which seems to contain, mostly, adverts.

When he has pushed his mail through the Post Hole, in my front door, having bypassed the sign which says "no callers, no advertising materials", I simply gather them all up and shove them into a bin specially placed for the service.

What a colossal waste of money, and my patience.

If I'm away on holiday the thieves can tell i'm not there by the pile of this rubbish on my door mat.

There has to be a way of stopping this.

We get the same, even if no letters that day. I do the same, straight into the recycle bag in the porch.

My neighbours get me to pick up their post when they are away to avoid your problem. I would do the same but Son is always here when I go away, we go at different times, so, no problem.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 02:36 PM

Mailshots are a good source of funding for the Post Office Mail Service.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 02:41 PM

If it keeps the post office going will tolerate them, but as already been said they do go straight in the recycling unread.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Mailshots are a good source of funding for the Post Office Mail Service.
I understand that is the case and if it wasn't for 'junk mail' the cost of postage would be much higher and remote rural areas would no longer receive a daily delivery.

My junk mail gets picked up from the mat and put straight into the recycling bin so presumably gets reused so for these 3 reasons I am happy to put up with it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 03:14 PM

If I'm away on holiday the thieves can tell i'm not there by the pile of this rubbish on my door mat.
In the days when we used go away, I taped a cut to size hardboard sheet (white) to the inside of the frosted glass lower door panel so that mail and advertising leaflets couldn't be seen on the doormat from the outside.

That and have a word with our friendly with neighbours to keep an eye on things as well.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 04:16 PM

The post office was my very first unofficial job (19yrs old) as it was only a 3 month trial with my local post office delivering post. 5 o'clock start, large bag of post round the shoulder, cycling a few miles everyday on a company issued fixed gear red bicycle. The short time i was there, it very very obvious that postmen and postwomen hated delivering promotional leaflets because it meant having to deliver to EVERY house and business on their delivery route, which could extend their working hours by at least 2hrs. From what i understood from the long timers there, the Post Office charter makes it a legal responsibility that everything put through the post office system has to be delivered, that includes promotional leaflets.

But back then when i did the 3 month trial, the post office was as it was the way we remembered it, it's own post offices and running the full lot of delivery services. It did not need the money generated by business paying them to deliver promotional leaflets, but unfortunately now they do.
CoffeeCake
Northamptonshire
CoffeeCake is female  CoffeeCake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 05:20 PM

Almost daily, my postman staggers up my path carrying a very heavy bag which seems to contain, mostly, adverts.

When he has pushed his mail through the Post Hole, in my front door, having bypassed the sign which says "no callers, no advertising materials", I simply gather them all up and shove them into a bin specially placed for the service.

What a colossal waste of money, and my patience.

There has to be a way of stopping this.

You can always opt out. This won’t stop all of the junk coming through your letterbox but will certainly reduce it greatly:

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/...etail/a_id/293
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 05:36 PM

Anyone contacting Royal Mail to get delivery of 'junk mail' stopped should realise that while that will stop the delivery by them to their address of anything that is not personally addressed, that may possibly also include communications from their local council. These may be delivered by Royal Mail to every house in an area, unaddressed mail is cheaper for the council to distribute than addressed and stamped mail to every household.

There are also private leafletting companies delivering leaflets and most charity clothes collection bags are delivered by people working for charities. Sometimes these are delivered by Royal Mail but not often due to cost. Local magazines and free newspapers are usually privately delivered too.

I too dislike all the 'junk mail' through my letterbox but when I used to produce a magazine distributed locally, I learned first hand from residents what happens when Royal Mail is asked not to deliver unaddressed mail. It's not always quite as straightforward as it is thought to be.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I agree Ted, it is a complete waste of paper and something the Ecofreaks have overlooked
Have they, though?
A lot of paper waste gets recycled. What was the largest paper mill in UK used entirely recycled.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 07:04 PM

... so long as your postman's happy. Mine whistles.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top