Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 09:52 AM

Couple on train

What do you think of the elderly couple on the train ?

A woman with three children and bags had reserved seats on a train which a elderly couple took and refused to give up .

From the looks of them they weren’t that elderly and I can imagine the chagrin of a woman with three young children trying to spread her children about the carriage .

Despite the price of tickets it’s often a bun fight on trains to get a seat and the trip was quite long .

Selfish old pair give us oldies a bad name .

https://news.yahoo.com/pregnant-moth...183552292.html
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 10:04 AM

Re: Couple on train

How dare they! Sadly, they are not on their own .....

Six weeks ago, my sister and I went to see a play in Glasgow. The tickets had been a birthday present and were in a good situation. When we got there we found an elderly couple sitting in our seats. As the surrounding seats were already taken, I politely pointed this out to them but - you've guessed it - they wouldn't move. Fortunately the performance hadn't started and I was able to speak to a member of staff who firmly directed them to their seats, some five rows back.

People like that can get us oldies a bad name but, fortunately, are in the minority.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 10:16 AM

Wouldn't happen if the Railways would stop paying out huge unearned salaries to the bosses, and they spent the money on more carriages and engines. Everyone has paid (through the nose) for a seat and everyone should be able to get one.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 10:18 AM

I haven't traveled by train for years. With a free bus pass I don't need to.
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Wouldn't happen if the Railways would stop paying out huge unearned salaries to the bosses, and they spent the money on more carriages and engines. Everyone has paid (through the nose) for a seat and everyone should be able to get one.
That does not excuse the selfish ill-mannered couple - elderly or not.

Elderly people often say the young are ill-mannered and entitled, many elderly people are, but excuses are made for them/us.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by roxy ->
wouldn't happen if the railways would stop paying out huge unearned salaries to the bosses, and they spent the money on more carriages and engines. Everyone has paid (through the nose) for a seat and everyone should be able to get one.

The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 10:51 AM

Well sorry but if the train was crowded and we'd found seats I'd have stayed put when confronted by a young woman with kids.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Well sorry but if the train was crowded and we'd found seats I'd have stayed put when confronted by a young woman with kids.

Could you give reasons,why you would have stayed put?

I am just interested...no criticism intended.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 10:58 AM

As someone who commuted for the last 20 years, there are countless times that arguments ensued between those who booked seats only to find others sitting in them.

For starters, you may not know, but to reserve a seat costs nothing. The train I caught every morning from a very small country train station had one Arriva train per hour on the one track up and one track down, with no other franchise but that one, This train always consisted of just two carriages.
Most people caught the 6.58 am or the 8.10am commuter trains, which, thankfully, ours was the second stop after starting out from Chester, so most people were able to get a seat before the train was inevitably packed.
Our station is where most commuters got on the train.

The problem of sitting in reserved seats always seemed to start when people got on these two carriage Arriva rickety old rolling stock to see empty carriages but every seat with a card on the back, ready for people who had reserved a seat further along the line at stations to Birmingham where the journey ended. Of course people were going to sit in them. I was usually fortunate enough to be able to find the odd seat that didn't have a reservation ticket because I knew there would be ructions further on down the line.

By the time the train had left the next station, Shrewsbury, one could not fail to hear arguments going on about reserved seats being taken, people would be shouting at each other, one saying ''those are our reserved seats'' and the other saying ''go speak to the guard then'' knowing full well the guard was usually hiding somewhere until the dust had settled. (I kid you not).

This was the daily ritual. My personal opinion. Stations should under no circumstances reserve seats between the hours of 7am and 10am as these are commuter trains.
It would be different if people actually paid to reserve seats, but they don't. And those who have weekly, monthly or annual season tickets, which most commuters do, THEY are not allowed to reserve seats. (quite rightly).
It's unfortunate for the unknowing public who decide to travel during these hours and reserve seats, but that is the way it was, and still is.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Could you give reasons,why you would have stayed put?

I am just interested...no criticism intended.
Why should I, or rather we put ourselves out for the sake of a much younger woman and her clutch of brats.

Seriously.

The train was obviously full and so if we had given up the seats where would we have sat?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top