Join for free
Page 3 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 11:40 AM

Re: One of the greatest mysteries

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Well if you're going to get picky bakerman, I don't think they calibrated time in years, Months, days and hours, they weren't even aware that the earth went round the sun. Therefore a year could have been any length of time, even the lifespan of a human.....
The question would then be about who commissioned it and when construction started. Would be a mighty act of prescience if a pharoah had it built with the intention of it being available for his heirs (possibly several generations down the line), and not himself.

Unless, of course, he commissioned it and his body was interred somewhere else for a few decades until it was complete, in which case it seems a remarkable act of loyalty from the incumbent pharoah to honour the deal.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Exactly ! No question about it, when it came to working in stone, the Egyptians were geniuses.

For those who have not studied ancient Egyptian technology, the saws they used to cut stone (once it was removed from the native rock) were made of very heavy copper. The saws were suspended on a scaffold, and 2 men shoved them back and forth. it is surmised that they used harder stone "dust" as the cutters. That harder stone became imbedded in the copper saw. Thus, the somewhat "softer" stone was easier to cut.

Oh, I almost forgot. using modern day electron microscopes it has been determined that the copper mined in ancient Egypt had arsenic in it. That made the copper harder than we use today.

below you will see a partially completed saw cut (in basalt) from the east side of the Great Pyramid
Must have taken forever .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Must have taken forever .
The whip no doubt helped!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Well if you're going to get picky bakerman, I don't think they calibrated time in years, Months, days and hours, they weren't even aware that the earth went round the sun. Therefore a year could have been any length of time, even the lifespan of a human..... The desert now provides oil from the forests that were once abundant, so the sediment was washed down by seawater (an early example of Global Warming ) perhaps they floated the large stones into place using boats. And labour was cheap in those days, 100,000 slaves could be employed for the cost of a MacDonald's......But I did present a serious explanation, and unless people are not capable of thinking outside the box, they will always be astounded.
Oh, they knew precisely how long a year was. At the Great Temple of Abu Simbel, the sun shines down a long corridor and lands on a statue of Rameses 2nd , on only one day /year
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Barry, the technology required to produce those granite boxes is not at all difficult. Physically difficult ? Absolutely , yes. But not technologically difficult.
Example: if given thousands of laborers, I could easily create a perfectly flat stone foundation, (out of bedrock) that measures 10 hectares square. You may ask how ? Simple. I'd start by digging a shallow square trench in the bedrock and fill it with water. As you know, water seeks its own level. It is then only a matter of chipping away and polishing the bedrock stone within the square. Eventually, I'd end up with a precisely flat and level bedrock, that varied only a 1/100th of an inch out.
The same applies to the granite boxes at Saqquara. simply invert the box lid and pour water into the cavity. Now, all that needs to be done is to slowly chip away and polish the bottom so that the water is at a precise depth everywhere. Reinvert the lid and place it on the coffin.
In 2007 I visited Saqquara Serapeum. Difficult to achieve those boxes ? Yes. But not impossible.

Oh, and let us not believe those who would say it's impossible with todays technology. That is a myth created by people who make money writing about aliens.
A very interesting subject bakerman, can you tell me though ,
Where is the nearest source of limestone to the pyramids ??
I think this is important due to the logistics involved if it were far
away?
I ask this as looking at the terrain around the pyramids l see no rocks
or mountains ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
A very interesting subject bakerman, can you tell me though ,
Where is the nearest source of limestone to the pyramids ??
I think this is important due to the logistics involved if it were far
away?
I ask this as looking at the terrain around the pyramids l see no rocks
or mountains ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
Yes, there are limestone quarries just a few miles to the south of the Giza Plateau. However, granite, which was also used for the interior passages, had to be floated all the way from Aswan. Additionally, the huge granite stones over the King's Chamber were granite. Including those massive ones weighing 40 tons.

PS: To get inside the Kings Chamber, I had to crawl on my hands and knees. When I went up the Grand Gallery and into the King's Chamber, I got a bit claustrophobic and I had to take a valium pill to get my feelings under control.
bakerman
Mexico

27-05-2021, 03:58 PM

Speaking of granite and Aswan, that is where the Egyptians got their granite. below is a photo of a massive, nearly finished stone, which would have been an obelisk, that had to be abandoned because it cracked.
Distance from Aswan to Cairo = 551 miles. Imagine floating that beast. imagine even loading that massive stone on a boat.
good heavens how large must a boat have been which was capable of floating that stone ?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	R74008df5e4a17551d427d459b5fa620c.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	15654   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	15655  
bakerman
Mexico

27-05-2021, 10:27 PM

I was hoping to get a serious dialogue started with someone on ways that the Giza Pyramids might have been built, and bounce a few ideas off each other. I guess that's not to be. Oh, well.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 10:30 PM

Humans grafted to the death, The Martians knew how to work, rest, and Play!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 11:08 PM

I found this very interesting.
Most aspects of the building of the pyramids have been explained and are feasible.
The one thing which I find the most difficult to explain is raising the blocks of stone, particularly the really heavy ones, all the way up the rising structure.
Ramps have been suggested and, logically, the further up you go the fewer blocks need to be raised.
Nevertheless, unbelievably difficult.

Page 3 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top